twelve;

"So, Byul-ah, do you happen to have any siblings?"

Byulyi chokes mid-bite on her second chicken skewer, coughing so hard tears form in the corner of her eyes. Jungkook is quick to start thumping her back in assistance. Once she manages to catch her breath once again she glares at the one responsible for her coughing fit in the first place. "Why do you ask? And who gave you permission to call me that?!"

"Aww, come on, we're same-age friends!" Seokjin pouts. "You can call me Jinnie if you want. And no particular reason, Jungkook and I are traveling here with our friends and we just happened to meet a man last night that looks like he could be related to you."

Byulyi hums thoughtfully as she chews on her last bite of the chicken skewer that almost took her life just mere seconds ago, making sure to school her expression into one of innocence. It seems she can't let her guard down around these two. They may come across as idiots, but they're still perceptive nonetheless. "Are you saying you think I look like a man?"

"What?!" Seokjin sputters, completely taken aback. Jungkook spits the water he was drinking out, laughing between gasping breaths. "No! That's not what I meant-"

"That's not something you should say to a lady, Jinnie." Byulyi scolds him in a teasing manner. "You won't be able to find a wife to settle down with if you tell them stuff like that."

"Lady, my ass! You've been man-spreading since we sat down to eat! You don't have an ounce of etiquette in your body!"

"Why should I act polite right now? It's not like there are any gentlemen around at the moment."

"Hey!"

"It's true, noona." Jungkook points an accusing finger towards his hyung. "He's never held the door open for me once!"

"Yah, I'm your hyung, of course I haven't held the goddamn door for you before! And you're not even a lady, why are you complaining?!"

"Now that I think about it," Jungkook rubs at his chin as he looks over at Byulyi. "Noona, what do you do? I feel like even after exploring the town I've never seen you working around here or anything."

"Jeon Jungkook, are you ignoring me?! Byul-ah, tell this brat to pay attention to me!"

Uh oh, looks like they're starting to get too nosy for their own good. Byulyi narrows her eyes at the youngest. "What do you and Seokjin do? How do I know I haven't been talking to a couple of human traffickers this whole time?"

"Are you ignoring me too?!"

Jungkook seems to be flustered at having his own question turned back on him, clearly not prepared to have what Byulyi already knows must be a fake backstory. "I, uh, we..."

Byulyi decides to help the poor guy out. For a pirate crew smart enough to have found her little group, they're surprisingly bad at deception. How cute. "Didn't you say you and Seokjin were traveling with friends? Where are you all from and where do you all normally work?"

Jungkook casts a panicked glance at his fellow crew member, who looks away with an angry huff similar to that of a child throwing a tantrum for being deliberately ignored just now. "We, uh, we're sailors! Just some, uh, freelancers that get paid to transport cargo around here and there. We were just stopping here because we haven't been to this town before and some of the people on our ship thought it'd be fun."

Byulyi tries her best not to laugh at what is honestly not that unconvincing of a lie. If she didn't know better, she might actually believe him. After all, the best lies always contain a hint of truth to them. "You two? Sailors? You all look like you've barely got your sea legs and you're telling me you travel the seas?"