nineteen;

"Hyung," Taehyung's voice is low, his tone full of warning. "I swear to god, if you leave a mark on her..."

Hoseok rolls his eyes. "Tae, both Wheein and Hyejin are completely capable of protecting themselves in a fight, much less a sparring session such as this one. Also, you've known me longer than you've known Wheein! Whose side are you on, you traitor? Who taught you how to properly wield a broadsword in the first place?!"

"We all know the odds of you losing are near impossible," Taehyung grumbles, clinging to Hoseok's arm like a leech as the older tries to stretch and warm his body up to ensure he doesn't pull a muscle. They're switching off shifts at the helm now that breakfast is over, and Hoseok was able to pull both Hyejin and Wheein aside beforehand to ask for a rematch of their very first encounter, the two more than willing to continue where they left off last time. "I just want to protect her from getting hurt... Can't you just go easy on them? Just a little bit?"

"Go easy on them? From what Byulyi has told me, Wheein's quite the sore loser. I can't imagine she would be too happy if I went easy on them. And she's most certainly skilled enough to know if I did." Hoseok snorts. "Besides, the point of this isn't to prove who's better than the other, it's training for potential enemies we may come across in the future. I'm honestly quite surprised we haven't encountered any other ships yet with how long we've been sailing. If I go easy on them now, I could very well be actually hurting them in the future if they aren't prepared for facing the most skilled of adversaries."

"But-"

"Would you ever want me to go easy on you when we spar?" Hoseok raises an eyebrow at the younger, who merely shakes his head with a pout.

"No..."

"Then you should know that neither would Wheein. I understand your desire to protect her because she's important to you. Hell, there's just about nothing I wouldn't do to keep everyone on this goddamn ship safe. But you know that if you want to really protect her you need her to learn to first protect herself." Hoseok crosses his arms, "They're as strong and brave and capable as any of us, Tae. Remember what Hyejin said when we first boarded the ship once again. The biggest danger you should be worried about right now is letting your emotions getting in the way."

Taehyung lets out a heaving sigh. "I know, I know, hyung. Go and show off your swordsmanship to try and impress Byulyi noona like I know you're trying to do."

"I-" Hoseok sputters, taken aback by the sudden verbal jab from his dongsaeng. "Wha- What are talking about?!"

Taehyung wiggles his eyebrows at the flustered older. "It's about time you expressed some interest in a woman, hyung. Jimin and I were starting to suspect you swung the other way or something."

"I- yah! Kim Taehyung, just what kind of conversations are you having with others about my love life?!" Hoseok squawks. "You better not be spreading around any weird rumors!"

Taehyung shrugs, a smirk tugging at his lips at the rare sight of composed and ruthless swordsman Jung Hoseok being reduced to a stuttering mess at just the mention of Moon Byulyi's name. "All I'm saying is that if she's someone you want to see by your side for the rest of your life, hyung, then you'd better act quick. From what I've heard from Wheein and Yongsun noona, Byulyi noona is never short of admirers, both male and female, no matter where she goes. It wouldn't be hard for someone to steal your chance right from under your nose."

Hoseok rolls his eyes. "Leave it to you to make things so dramatic. There's no need to rush anything when we've barely just met and gotten to know one another. Not everyone is kindred souls like you and Wheein."

"But you are interested, aren't you?" Taehyung's expression is smug and he looks far too pleased with himself and his information gathering skills.