thirteen;

The man raises an eyebrow at her lack of reaction, looking rather impressed and intrigued before sneering and leaning in until Wheein can smell the tobacco in his breath, the dagger still pointed precariously at her jugular. "Tell me now, pretty lady. Just where exactly would I be able to find the Bangtan pirate crew?"

Wheein smiles coyly up at the man, a dangerous glint to her eye. So he wanted to play with knives, huh?

"Go to hell."

The man blinks in disbelief at her response, before his expression twists into one of rage as he snarls, "Disrespectful bitch, who the hell do you think you're talking to?"

Now.

Wheein grips the edge of the bar countertop with both hands and leans back against the counter, swinging her leg upwards to kick the dagger out of the pirate's hand and catching the fallen blade by its hilt midair. The man stumbles back in shock. "What-"

"I believe you're quite mistaken." Wheein grins, a wild look in her eyes as the adrenaline pumps through her veins. It's been quite a while since she's been able to play. This time it's her that points the dagger at the other, a challenge and a taunt. "Just who do you think you are, with the nerve to come up and talk to me?"

"You-"

The front entrance to the tavern slams open with a force so strong that the nearby windows shudder. Wheein pays it no mind until she hears an all too familiar voice roar, "Seunghwan!"

Her head turns on instinct, eyes wide in surprise. Taehyung? What the hell is he doing here?! They aren't supposed to be meeting until later, how the hell is she supposed to kick this guy's ass without exposing herself?!

The man named Seunghwan notices her hesitation and takes advantage almost immediately. Before she can react properly, he reaches out and grabs hold of her wrist and twists. Wheein lets out a yelp in pain and drops the dagger, struggling to fight his strength and implement Hyejin's training to free herself. Seunghwan pulls her towards him, effectively throwing her off balance and allowing him to put her in a tight chokehold, his bicep pressing harshly against her windpipe. She scratches at his arm in an attempt to counter, but is unsuccessful.

"Any more fight out of you and I'll snap your pretty neck, princess," he growls in her ear as she finds herself face to face with a pale faced Taehyung.

Wheein curses to herself. Byulyi's number one rule in combat was to never let yourself become distracted in a fight and look where she was now. Of course Taehyung had to show up at the worst time possible, what are the fucking odds? She can almost hear Hyojong's mocking voice in her head. What happened to not getting distracted by a pretty face, hmm Wheepup?

"Let her go, Seunghwan," Something about Taehyung's voice sends a chill running down Wheein's spine, the look on his face almost feral. "I'm the one you want. There's no need to involve innocents."

"You know very well I can't do that, Bangtan's Kim Taehyung," Seunghwan's hold tightens impossibly further around Wheein's throat and she lets out an involuntary gasp, lungs expanding in an attempt to obtain more oxygen. The raw and unconcealable fear that flashes across Taehyung's face is answer enough. "After all, it seems as though you're rather well-acquainted with this tavern whore, isn't that right sweetheart?"

He loosens the chokehold just enough for Wheein to cough and spit out an angry "fuck you" before he cuts off her speech once more. "I have to say, I didn't think you would go for the feisty ones like her, Taehyung. I always saw you as more of a vanilla type of guy."

"You fucking bastard!" Taehyung growls, gripping the hilt of his broadsword so tightly in anger his knuckles turn white. However, he doesn't draw the blade, unable to so much as take a step forward with Seunghwan holding Wheein hostage. "You think following us and looking for another fight doesn't mean you won't get your ass kicked again?"