𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘰

chapter two
' now that's what friends are for '

     "MADI, SOMEONE'S HERE TO SEE YOU!" My dad called into the garage

I grabbed my black Doc Martens off the shoe shelf against the wall and went inside. "Who is it?"

"He says his name is Jacob Kennedy? Apparently I confused the dates of your senior trip." My dad replied.

I yanked on my boots and hurried to the front door. "Jacob? What're you doing here?" I asked.

He gave me a hug and whispered in my ear mischievously, "I'm being recklessly spontaneous." He then turned to my dad, who sent me a 'you have a boyfriend?' look. I blushed and avoided his eyes.

"Remember how Bailee was supposed to give you a ride? Well, she couldn't, so my mom said I could take you." He said with an innocent grin. How could he lie to my dad's face?

I turned to face my dad. "You're perfectly fine with this?" I hoped my voice didn't sound too incredulous.

"I'll call you to check in. Besides, I trust you-you're very responsible."

I looked between Jacob and my dad. "Uh...I gotta go pack, I'll be right back!"

Without waiting for either of them to respond, I sprinted up the stairs and threw some clothes and a couple pairs of shoes into the blue paisley duffel bag I kept under my bed. Just as I was about to go back downstairs, I remembered my Blu-ray copy of Infinity War. Did it even still exist? I searched my shelf and was relieved to find its purple spine. How is this still here?

"Hey," a voice said.

My head turned so quickly I thought I'd get whiplash. "Jacob! What are you doing in here?"

"You said you needed to talk to Robert Downey Jr., so I got us tickets to Los Angeles. Now are you coming, or not?" He asked, grinning.

I rolled my eyes. "We're very impatient, aren't we? Just a minute, I have a to pack my camera and-"

"Is that a copy of Infinity War?!"

I looked down at the dvd in my hand. "Yes, yes it is, but don't tell anyone."

"My lips are sealed." He mimed zipping his lips.

I slipped on my black backpack, grabbed my camera bag, and stood. "Let's go, we're wasting daylight here."

"Here, lemme help." He slung my duffle bag over his shoulder before I could protest and started to walk confidently down the stairs.

"Are you finally ready?" My dad teased once Jacob and I had made it down the stairs and over to his car. "I can't believe you're going to be gone for an entire week! My little girl is all grown up!"

"Dad, I love you but-"

He chuckled again and pat Jacob on the back. "Now you two have fun-but not too much fun,"

"Dad!" I exclaimed. I could feel my face heating up and I avoided Jacob's amused glance.

"Yes sir," he nodded seriously. "I'll have her back safely in a week."

I hugged my dad goodbye and then slid in the passenger seat of Jacob's SUV. If only my father knew what I was getting myself into.

As we drove away, Jacob turned to me with a smirk. "Hey, Madi?"

"What?" I replied flatly, knowing that I probably wouldn't like what was going to come out of his mouth next.

"I get that you're all about the 'aesthetic', but why are you wearing a black leather jacket and Doc Martens when it's an 85° day in May?"

"Oh shut up, it's my favorite jacket!"

Ⓐ Ⓐ Ⓐ

"My girlfriend and I are going on vacation!" Jacob lied smoothly to the airline employee, 'Sara', as she scanned our boarding passes. He put an arm around me and pulled me closer to him.

I swear if he does something stupid like kiss me on the head I will end him. I pinched him forcefully on the arm.

"Ouch!" He yelped. When Sara gave him a strange look, he forced a smile. "I think there's something in my shoe."

He released me and made a big show of a checking his shoe. When he stood up again, Sara told him pointedly, "You're holding up the line, sir."

"Right! Sorry, we'll go," Jacob said, blushing uncharacteristically. He grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the hallway that led to our plane.

Once we were out of sight, I pulled my hand away. "That was so unnecessary, you just embarrassed yourself." I rolled my eyes.

"She looked at us strangely!"

I raised an eyebrow, "I think she was checking you out,"

"But I have a girlfriend! And she's probably at least two years older than me! I'm seventeen, Madi!" He said, seeming genuinely offended. "Anyway, that's so rude to you!"

He smiled at the flight attendant who welcomed us and then we took seats two rows in front of the emergency exit.

"Aren't you offended?" Jacob asked, helping me put my bag into the overhead compartment.

"We're not even together!" I laughed, shrugging out of my leather jacket and shoving it under the seat in front of me.

He made a shocked noise. "But isn't that, like, a violation of girl code or something? You don't steal other girls' boyfriends!"

I snapped a few pictures of the evening sky outside of the plane window. "First of all, there is no girl code. Second of all, some people have no boundaries. Third of all, why are we still talking about this? We're not dating, so you could've said we were just friends and gotten her number."

If I was being 100% honest, his concern was kind of sweet.

Jacob rested his head on my shoulder and looked up at me before closing his eyes. "What if I didn't want her number?"

And with that final, confusing thought, he started to fall asleep and I didn't have the heart to push him away.

It was going to be a long flight.