𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

chapter seventeen
' maria is not a great driver. '

   "UGH, THIS TRAFFIC IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC!" I exclaimed, resisting the urge to slam my hands on the dashboard

   "UGH, THIS TRAFFIC IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC!" I exclaimed, resisting the urge to slam my hands on the dashboard. It was a few minutes after midnight and I was antsy and full of caffeine. I knew what was going to happen, but I knew I had to witness it anyway.

"You're telling me-I'm the one driving in it." Maria replied.

      I wrung my hands anxiously. "Just drive on the shoulder and speed up! You're a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, just make up an excuse!"

   She slammed onto the gas pedal and we sped up. After we had reached the hospital using some borderline illegal tactics, Hill and I rushed to the E.R.

  "I'm glad that I know a spoiler, because if you didn't, I'd be concerned..." She commented.

"I know all the spoilers and I'm still concerned." I admitted. "He does not look good."

    We entered the operating theater.

"Steve?" I asked softly.

     He turned to look at Hill and I. She nodded politely and then left the room, her phone pressed to her ear.

"I called Nat," He informed me quietly, his eyes not moving from the other side of the glass.

      "That's good. She deserves to know." At that moment, Natasha Romanoff's shoes squeaked as she ran into the room. "Is he gonna make it?"

She stared anxiously at Fury, who lay on the operating table surrounded by three doctors.

   "I don't know." Steve murmured quietly.

"Is he gonna make it?" She repeated, looking at me this time.

I decided to tell the truth. "Technically, Yes."

Cap groaned. "Dang it, Madi, just give us a straight answer!"

      "That's not how it works, Steve." I sighed. "I can't do that, and you know it. I have to time the distribution of my intel."

The question was directed at Steve, but Nat turned to look at me, her green eyes boring into mine. "Fine. What can you tell us about the shooter?"

    "He's fast. Strong." Cap started.

"Metal arm?" I asked calmly.

    "How did you-"

Maria walked back in and the Russian woman turned to her. "Ballistics?"