𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

chapter twenty-eight
' lincoln. '

           "SHE'S BEEN OUT FOR THIRTY-SIX HOURS

"SHE'S BEEN OUT FOR THIRTY-SIX HOURS." I woke with a start and attempted to sit up as my eyes darted around in a futile attempt to examine my surroundings.

      I was lying in a candlelit room on top of a hospital bed-the second time in three days. I glanced down at myself and realized that I was wearing a weird silk two-piece outfit with a crop top and a short skirt. But that wasn't the worst part-hundreds of little needles were sticking into my skin, which made me look like a porcupine. The source of the voice hurried to my side, coming from a side of the room outside of my peripheral vision.

     "Hey, you're safe here." Lincoln Campbell said gently, helping me to a sitting position. "You passed out right when you got here, and you've been unconscious for thirty-six hours. You were starting to worry us."

      "Us?" I tried not to cringe at the abundance of the needles that were coming out of me.

"Madi!" Daisy exclaimed, stepping into view. "I would you hug you, but, um..."

     "I look like Raina." I stated, my lips quirking into a smirk.

She stifled a laugh. "It's not funny, but that's exactly what I thought."

     Lincoln looked between us with a laugh. " Don't worry, Daisy had to go through the same treatment. The needles are just-"

"Adjusting my body to my powers?" I guessed.

     He tilted his head curiously. "Good guess. How did you-"

"It's a secret." I replied teasingly. "Guess you'll just have to ask Raina to find out."

      "What do you mean?"

   "She's a seer. She can see the future through dreams." Daisy explained.

        "How did you two-well, I guess that's a secret, too." Lincoln shook his head, laughing again. There was something hiding beneath the brightness of his blue eyes, but I'd have to delve into that later.

    "Speaking of Raina, how is she?" I made a move to pull one of the needles out of the back of my hand, but Lincoln caught my hand and stopped me.

"We've been trying to ease her pain, but there's only so much we can do."

       "So you're a doctor?" I asked, deciding not to tell him that I knew practically everything about him.