twelve

•••

•••

ALEXA WAS TOSSING and turning as she slept, her dreaming something that wasn't very... happy so to speak.

it was cold, dark, and unsettling. her left arm was cuffed, alexandria not being fazed by the uncomfortableness. the bed next to her, that used to be natalia's, was filled by a new girl, who had to be fourteen.

natalia was twenty two when she left five months ago. alexandria was about to turn nineteen in two months. alexandria's graduation ceremony was in the morning.

it was around two am, everyone sleeping. alexandria neck hurt, the winter solider coming in to train them earlier. alexandria was put up against him in hand to hand combat. she almost beat him, until he ended up getting her to her knees and she was in a chokehold.

alexandria was pulled out of sleep with a hand covering her mouth. she knew not to scream, or else worse things then what she assumed was going to happen, will happen. she opened her eyes, natalia standing above her, her pointer fingers to her lips.

don't speak. trust me, i have somewhere safe to go.

natalia mouthed to alexandria, her understanding it. natalia picked the lock, quietly and quickly, they left the bedroom. they stealthily went down the long hallway, getting to exit natalia came through. at the exit was a man, alexandria pulled natalia against the wall, motioning to the man.

natalia just smiled, grabbing alexandria's arm and they walked to the exit. alexandria's eyes widened when the man turned around. the moonlight from the windows hit his metal arm perfectly, alexandria knowing that arm.

the winter soldier gave a nod, natalia shaking his hand.

"thank you solider. i have to repay you somehow", natalia spoke flawlessly in russian, the winter soldier dismissing her.

"no need natalia, just get out of here. i'll end up seeing you two again somehow", he responded back, quietly in russian.

alexandria thanked him quietly in russian, his dark, empty eyes staring into alexandria's.

"don't thank me alexandria. go, i'll see you soon." his accent was thick, and deep. he helped natalia out the window first, then alexandria. she stepped onto his metal hand, him boosting her up to reach natalia's hand.

alexandria rested on the window ledge, looking at the solider one last time before she jumped, landing in the snow.