| 39 |

"ELENA!" Fryer gasped waking up in his room

"ELENA!" Fryer gasped waking up in his room. He looked around, his eyes searching for something even he wasn't sure what it was. 

"It was just a dream," He tried to calm himself down yet he just couldn't bring him to doing it. He had just dreamed of Scarlett's death. 

"Elena!" He called her out and looked around in his room once again but who was he kidding—he was in his pack while Scarlett was in the palace. He couldn't believe himself he left without talking to her. 

Fryer shook his head remembering her words that she was the cause of their death. Of course, she wasn't. She herself has suffered so much because of the likings of other people yet he shamelessly ignored her as if she actually was the cause of their death. Fryer groaned and fell back in her bed knowing how he messed up. 

Scarlett sat on the tree silently watching Fryer from a distance. She chuckled to herself when she saw him in frustration.  

"I guess he finally came to his senses!" She murmured to herself, her eyes never leaving him once just like for the past two hours. 

She has been watching him squirm in his dream, she watched him say her name—her old name reminding her how he still loved her and how she still loved him. 

Scarlett felt someone eyes on her so she turned to see Elestren standing by the window of her room staring at her with unshed tears. She was rocking Aurora in her arms who seemed to have woken up in the middle of the night. 

"Take care of everyone for me," Scarlett mouthed hoping she would understand her. 

"You take care of yourself!" Elestren mouthed back. She raised her hand showing her palm where the mark of their blood oath existed. 

Scarlet raised her palm as well showing her mark.

"Forever together," The two mouthed together and smiled. 

With one last glance towards Fryer who had fallen back to sleep, Scarlett teleported herself back to the palace. Feeling too overwhelmed, she picked up her pillow from the bed revealing the blood-red stone. She picked it up feeling it's cold surface across her warm skin reminding herself why she was doing this. 

"For my family," she whispered to herself, "For my people."

•☾•

The next few days, Scarlett had changed most of the rules around the kingdom making stronger and bolder decisions that made people question her authority. Every felt as if the alpha didn't hold any authority any more and only the queen was the sole ruler. Gone was the freedom allowed to the packs and now all the werewolves were made to bow under one command.

Within days, packs started to turn against the royal rule, breaking laws whenever they could. They just couldn't bring themselves to accept those absurd laws which made them feel like they were nothing. 

"What is going through your mind?" Elaric asked her. "Abolishing the right to leave the pack at one's own will, abolishing common land treaty and arresting all the rogues, what are you thinking?"

Scarlett who was sitting on the throne smiled, "I never knew sitting on a throne would be this fun."

"ELENA! It's not the time to joke."

"It's Queen Scarlett!" Scarlett traced her finger over the design on her throne armrest. "Do not tell me what I should do and what I should not!"

"You are going insane!" Elaric looked at her worriedly. "You need help. You are not the Elena I once knew."

"That's because I'm not Elena!" She waved her hand gesturing her guards to come forward, "Take him to his room. He can't leave until I say so."

She turned away not wanting to see the expression on his face as he was dragged out of the room. Xavier who was standing at the corner beside Zolten came forward. Scarlett looked at him and dismissed everyone else from the room. When she was sure there was no one around except Xavier, she gave him a tired smile. 

"Do you think this is the right way?" Xavier asked her in concern.

She reclined back on the throne and took off her crown. Even though the crown was the smallest of all, she still couldn't help but feel it to be extremely heavy. 

"I believe this is the only way," She tiredly replied. "What they want is the crown. The crown will be of no use when no one bows down to it."

"So bringing an end to the royal rule is the only way," Xavier sighed. "You should go take some rest. I haven't seen you sleep for days."

"A werewolf can stay awake for days," She excitedly replied to him until sadness took over her, "There was a time I couldn't spend a single day without getting any rest."

"You should at least tell somebody about what is going on right now," Xavier suggested her, "At least tell Fryer."

Scarlett shook her head. "I don't even know if I will be alive when this all ends. I don't want them to get hurt by this as well."

"I just wished you can get the happiness you deserve,"

"I am happy," Scarlett gave him a small smile, "Seeing the people I love are safe and protect, this is all I need in my life."

Xavier looked at her for a while and shook his head. "You are such a great queen!"

"I am the worst queen!" Scarlett laughed making Xavier chuckle as well.