| 27 |

She knew it was wrong on so many levels, that this deed of her betrayed the man she loved

She knew it was wrong on so many levels, that this deed of her betrayed the man she loved. But this was her salvation, the only thing that could make her forget the pain. Like an addiction, this made her forget the reality.

Scarlett's naked body rolled over Daniel's, her moans echoed around the room. No words were shared as they continued to fall deeper into the ecstatic feeling. Scarlett's body finally crumbled beside Danial's, their sweat glistening on their named bodies. Daniel brought the covers over them and snuggled her body in his arms.

The two were like two different sides of the same coin. Both were polar opposites yet both were equally broken. They both lost what they loved and lost themselves along with it.

Daniel was only fourteen when his parents were killed in front of his eyes. A child who saw what no one should see and suffered what no one could bear. He was lost, in his own mind and in this world and Scarlett found him. Cowering away in the shadows, he was a just soul who was afraid of the light.

So Scarlett showed him the beauty in darkness, she helped him find life in the shadows.

Both damaged and broken, they found salvation in each other's embrace. They knew what they had was toxic as none of them loved each other romantically. But this obsession was their safe haven.

Scarlett ran her hands through his soft brown hair and sighed. "We have to start packing."

"Your lover will be there," Daniel said in a low voice, his breath tingling her skin.

"He will be, indeed," Scarlett sat straight.

"Scared to finally see him after four years?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Scarlett laughed. "It's not just him but Elestren and Jaden and Felix and Verena... It's all of them. I don't know who will be there but I am too scared to see them there."

"I will be there with you," 

"That is what I am most thankful for, to have you all with me." Scarlett tilted her head and gave a small peck on his lips before getting up."

Daniel sat down and softly kissed Scarlett on her shoulder.

"I'm going to take a shower. You should too." She looked outside the window where the sun was barely peeking in the sky and sighed. "We have a long month ahead!"

•☾•

"Can't you use your teleportation to at least take us to the bottom of the mountain," Derek complained. The others looked at him and sigh. The upper part of their faces was covered with bronze masks revealing only their eyes and lips. Each was crafted differently and unique from the others. There were fine details carefully engraved on the surface of the masks. Identical cloaks were draped over their shoulders with the pack's emblem embroidered over the left part of the chest.

"Don't you spend your whole days running up and down these mountains?" Haize flipped her head and chuckled.

"We will be there in five minutes. The royal cars are waiting for us there." Scarlett replied to him, "I can't use teleportation because of them."

"No fun!" Derek mumbled and continued to climb down.

The mountain jeeps were indeed waiting for them at the bottom. After mind linking everyone, and giving them the instruction for the third time that day, they finally got inside the car. They shifted into smaller cars when they reached plain roads. They later passed through the royal portals that were only opened under the command of the king. Daniel placed a reassuring hand over Scarlett's as they entered through the huge castle gates.

The castle seemed more ancient than any bone left in the soil with trees surrounding it like great armies defending their fortress. Nine skinny, round towers surround the castle in almost a perfect circle and were connected by tall, solid walls made of grey stone of varying sizes and shapes, each one unique and different from another.

The castle's walls were high, standing proud and mighty. The windows were high and the clouds scud across the wild sky. The inside of the castle was as mighty as the outside. The walls were painted a dark shade of blue and gold. Beautiful expensive paintings were hanging on the wall. Immense windows were framed by drapes colored a lighter shade of blue as the walls. The curtains were adorned with gilded linings and fine patterns.

Half tired and half excited, they looked around the castle as they were led to the wing where they were staying. They took in every little detail of the path they crossed memorizing every route as the first instinct of survival. According to the royal steward who showed them to their quarter informed them that food was served at the grand hall where all the packs were to eat. Scarlett was thankful at finding that at least the Ashbryn pack wasn't staying on the same floor as them.

Scarlett took a sigh of relief as she finally entered her assigned room and threw her body on the bed. She replaced her metallic mask with a soft satin one and took off her cloak as well. Finally being able to relax, she pulled the covers over her and soon fell asleep.