Part 27

As they made their way through an employee hallway down to the rink, Sean felt his body shake. He could hear the people in the stadium cheering as Stacy's dad worked them over the reasons for this local contest. At the door, Sean looked out the small square window on the grey door to see the rink lights shinnying down on Stacy's dad. Stacy's dad stood on a small platform that had been brought out temporarily for his announcements. Sean's heart was doing laps in his ribcage, until he was barely breathing. Mark pushed him away from the door, pressing him up against the cold wall to tell him calmly. "Sean, deep breaths." Sean took a deep breath so quickly that Mark cupped his neck and added softly. "Sean... Remember what I said? You've already lost. Now just go out there and have fun." Sean shook his head, but Mark sweetly told him. "Jack, go out there and have fun for me. Fall on your ass." Mark leaned in to press his lips to Sean's and the noise from beyond the door faded away.

The door opened, making them both jump as Stacy slipped in to ask cautiously. "You two ready?" Mark nodded and Sean nodded much more subtly. Through the open door, Stacy's dad announced loud and clear. "We'll introduce our skater's and then start. All the way from the U.S. and our rival skater tonight... Mark Fischbach!" The stadium erupted into harsh boos and shouts of disapproval. Sean felt for Mark, but Mark simply shrugged off his robe to reveal his costume. As the red robe hit the floor, Sean lost his voice. Mark was wearing a black spandex outfit, but it was decorated with glittering flames. The sleeves up to the elbow were red with fabric that imitated flames off them with bright glittering rhinestones to ease the transition from color to pure black. With his dark eyeliner and freshly dyed red bangs... He was stunning. Stacy winced, admitting to Mark. "Sorry... We told them not to do that." Mark waved a dismissive hand, stating out coolly. "I'm the rival. It's not my job to be liked." Mark glanced at Sean, giving him a wink before walking out.

The stadium shot out all kinds of foul things at Mark, causing Sean to hug himself. What if they did that to him? What if all this was a mistake? Stacy grabbed his shoulders, rubbing him comfortingly as they watched Mark slide out over the ice. He stood next to Stacy's dad, who shook his hand briefly. Then the stadium fell silent. Stacy's dad gestured toward the door, announcing more theatrically. "Next up. Born only a few miles from this very stadium. The skater that put us on the map. Our Proud Lucky Charm, Sean McLoughlin!" The stadium didn't make a sound. Sean turned to leave back toward the locker room, but Stacy turned him around and shoved him out the door with a swift kick to his ass. Stepping out, he couldn't help looking up at the stands on either side of him as he trudged toward the rink. The silence was deafening. Then from the distance someone cheered, and it rippled out across the stands. The stadium echoed with loud cheers and people hung off the rails to see if he'd touch their hands.

Sean's heart lighted and he raised his hands to high five them as he passed. By the time he reached the rink, his fears were almost entirely gone. They still liked them. Sliding out onto the ice, Stacy's dad nodded to a man that raised the flag and a small group of musicians began to play the national anthem. Sean slide up to Stacy's dad and began to sing as loud as he could among those singing from the stands. Everyone stood to sing loud and proud. All expect Mark. Mark could only stand with respect, because he didn't know the anthem. Stacy's dad wrapped an arm around Sean's shoulder, belting out the lyrics with him. Sean was sure that the stadium could be heard all across Ireland. When the stadium erupted into cheers after the anthem, Sean grinned brightly. He was feeling more enlightened. Filled with pride to represent his country. Stacy had been right. His first routine should be for them. Not just to remind them that he was one of them... but to remind himself who he was. His heritage said a lot about him, and he was proud to be one of them.

Stacy's dad calmed the stadium down as best he could, telling them all confidently. "As per tradition here. The first to take the ice will be Sean Mcloughlin!" Sean's confidence deflated a little as he exhaled anxiously. Mark skated up to him to shake his hand, pulling him in to whisper into his ear lovingly. "You'll be fine. Win or lose. I'll still love you." Sean blushed, giving him a nod. Mark patted his shoulder, then left the ice to go stand with Stacy. The stand was removed from the ice and Stacy's dad moved to stand by his daughter as he announced into the mic. "Before Sean begins. I've got a little story to tell you... and it goes like this." The crowd erupted into cheers as Sean centered himself on the ice with his back to the stands. This was all apart of his old act and they remembered it. Stacy's dad shushed them, then continued. "Out of the dark we came. Out of the night. The first of many mornings in this new place. When the sun rolled back the mist, we rose like a strong wave on land. Now we were the people of this place. What burns through the rain and mist? What banishes dark? What makes the children straight and bright? What makes the mountain sharp? The sun is our lord and father. Bright face at the gate of day. Lifting our hearts. We sing his praise. Dance in his healing rays. Lads and Ladies, Sean's frozen riverdance!"