Chapter 1: A Necklace and A Ring

I live in the Governors household as he is my father. I also have a sister, Elizabeth. She is my father's favorite daughter and only she is allowed to call him Father. It hurts when he says this, but I just let it pass. I'm also engaged to an awful man that I don't want to marry.

I woke up to Hannah, my hand maid, opening the curtains for me. I love waking up to the sunlight. However, looking out of the window, I can see that today is going to take a turn for the worst as there are dark clouds closing in.

"Morning Miss. Your father has asked that you dress appropriately today as it's Commodore Norrington's celebration today."

"Morning Hannah. How many times do I have to tell you to call me Maria?"

"Morning Maria. Which dress would you like to wear today?" Hannah asks while looking through my wardrobe. I hate dresses. They're so heavy and normally I ditch the corset, but today I am to wear one as it is a formal event we are attending, well forced to attend. "There now, was that so hard? And you pick."

"You know how much I love dresses." Hannah laughs at my sarcasm while helping me with my corset.

"Knock, knock, it's only me," my older sister Elizabeth says as she walks into my room.

"Morning Elizabeth. What can I do for you?" I ask while trying to adjust to the lack of oxygen in my lungs from this damn corset. Elizabeth looks beautiful in her new imported gown from England. She always does.

"Hannah, you can leave. I'll help Maria continue to dress." Hannah nods respectfully and leaves the room.

"What's the matter, Elizabeth? Why did Hannah have to leave?" I question. I'm starting to worry as Elizabeth has a sad look in her eyes.

"Well, today is your 18th birthday, yes?" She pauses so I nod in reply. "Well, when you were a month old, you were left on our doorstep. There were letters with you. One was addressed to Father, and the other addressed to you. Father never liked you calling him Father because he isn't yours. It wasn't because he hated you or preferred me, it was because he knew if he grew close to you, it would hurt him more when you were taken away. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this, and I'm afraid to say that Father's plan didn't work out, as he loves you dearly, as do I." Elizabeth was crying now, and I felt a trickle slowly running down my cheek. The people I call my family weren't all these years the people who I trusted most lied to me. At least I know now it wasn't favoritism. It was because I wasn't his daughter. "Maria, are you okay? I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you. I don't care if we're related by blood or not. You will always be my sister."

"Miss Elizabeth, your father requests your presence," Hannah says while poking her head around the door, she then leaves again.

When Elizabeth has finished helping me into my dress, she leaves a letter on the table and whispers, "I'm so sorry, Maria," then leaves the room.

I can't bring myself to talk to her or forgive her. Of course I love her, it's just that she lied to me my whole life. How can we ever get passed that?

I better read the letter now rather than later. Why put it off? What else could be worse than being lied to? My parents being: pirates? Tyrants? Dead? I honestly couldn't care anymore. They obviously didn't.

To my dearest Maria,

I'm terribly sorry that I must leave you. I'm dying and I would hate for you to go through losing a mother as it would be too hard for you to deal with and then being left to fend for yourself. It's with deep regret that I have to give you up, my beautiful baby girl. You see, I met your father, and we conceived you out of wedlock, and because my family was one of the high class, they shunned me away. I'm to live on the streets where I have picked up an awful disease. I have written to your father, and he will know about your existence. I have told him where you live and will grow up. I also asked him to leave you alone and to grow into a woman of 18 until he can contact you. I want you to have a good life so please don't hate me for keeping your father away. He's neither a noble man nor a man who follows the law. He's a pirate, and that's why I can't let him have you until you are 18. By then you will be wise enough to know the dangers and learn how to fight. Your Father's name is Hector Barbossa. He will come for you, but only go if you want to. Don't be forced. Remember that this is the hardest decision I have ever had to make, and the hardest letter that I ever had to write and I'm sorry. But I believe and know that this is the best possible way for you to have a life that is worth living. I have left you with the Governor, and I hope that he follows my wishes and treats you as his own and leaves this a secret until you are 18. I will always love you and hope that you will never forget this. Please know that your father is a good man, he just doesn't show it all the time. I have given you a necklace that was a gift from your father as it's an heirloom of his. It's very precious so please keep it with you as it belonged to both me and your father. It was a part of us, and now you too. Be safe and lead a happy and long life ahead, my beautiful baby Maria.

My love for always,

Rosa Clingard, Your Mother

My mother's dead? My father's a pirate? I think my life will never be the same after today.

I look into the envelope and see a necklace.

It must have been hers. I clip it around my neck and put on some shoes and make my way to the entrance hall. That is when I see my childhood friend, Will Turner. I see him gaze longingly into Elizabeth's eyes and Elizabeth returning the same look. I clear my throat and then pick up my skirts and run down the stairs and throw myself into Will's arms.

"Hey Maria, Happy Birthday. Here's your gift. It's not much really, but I hope you like it." I thank Will and open the gift; it's a book of poetry that I like.

Will and I are best friends. He's a blacksmith and trains me with the swords in case of an attack. He always says that I was naturally talented with the sword; I wonder if it's in my pirate blood.

"Well, we must be going, thank you for delivering the sword, and give our praises to its creator," Mr. Swann says as he ushers us out of the door and into the carriage.

"Good day, Mr. Turner," Elizabeth says coolly as she enters the carriage and as we pull away I'm sure I heard Will say good day to Elizabeth.

When we arrive, Father, well Mr. Swann, pulls me aside and hands me a gift and says it's from Cutler Beckett. I almost scream at the sound of that name. Instead I say, "Thank you, sir," and take it from him. I hesitantly start opening it. It revealed a note and a ring.

Happy Birthday, my love,

I really hope the next time I see you; you'll be wearing this ring as we are going to be married. If I don't, then you won't like what kind of punishment I have in store for you. As you are mine and mine forever.

Cutler Beckett

I read through the note with disgust. I have to admit it's a beautiful ring, but all I want to do is to throw it into the sea to never be found again. I put it on my left finger anyway as I really don't want another punishment from him. Elizabeth gives me a worried look, but I can't bring myself to look at her.

------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, Maria is engaged to Cutler Beckett.

In the original writer's book, you didn't know Maria was engaged to Beckett until the middle of the book, so I decided to change it to the beginning.

The dress is what she wears to the ceremony.