Chapter 12: Putting A Crew Together

I walk towards the table where Will, Jack, and Gibbs were sitting, and Will looks at me with his eyes nearly popped out of his head.

"You look like a lady, Maria," Will says in a shocked voice with an expression to match.

"Don't sound so shocked," I say while snatching his drink then drown the rest of it and take his place at the table. He grabs another stool, and they continue their conversation.

"Well, the medallion that Elizabeth has must be part of the Aztec gold if they want her so bad," Jack says.

"What's that?" I ask while thanking Will for bringing me another drink.

"Aztec gold.' One of the 882 identical pieces they delivered in a stone chest of Cortez himself. Blood money paid to stem the slaughter he wrecked upon them with his armies. But the greed of Cortez was insatiable. So, the heathen gods placed upon the gold' a terrible curse. Any mortal that removes but a single piece from that stone chest shall be punished for eternity," Jack continues.

"That's nonsense, Jack. Curses don't exist," I say in disbelief, but when I saw the look in his eyes, I suddenly wasn't so sure anymore.

"Aye. That's exactly what they thought when they were first told the tale. Buried on an island of dead what cannot be found, except for those who already know where it is. Find it, they did. There be a chest. Inside be the gold. And they took 'em all. They spent 'em and traded 'em and frittered 'em away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more they gave 'em away, the more they came to realize, the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in their mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake their lust. They are cursed men, Maria. Compelled by greed, they were, but now they are consumed by it. There is one way they can end the curse. All the scattered pieces of the Aztec gold must be restored, and the blood repaid. Thanks to Elizabeth, they have the final piece." I was shocked as Jack told the story. Wait...

"At least we know where they're taking Elizabeth. So, let's go, lads. Drink up," I say and down my drink and wait for the men to do the same.

I follow Will, Will follows Jack, and Jack follows Gibbs onto the pier where there were a large number of people lined up. They all looked like loonies to be honest.

"They all look like loonies," I say, voicing my thoughts. Will elbows me in the ribs and tells me to shut up while the crazies all seem to glare at me.

"Feast your eyes, Captain. All of them faithful hands before the mast. Every man worth his salt. And crazy to boot," Gibbs says while looking quite proud of himself.

"So, this is your able-bodied crew?" Will asks. Right, so the men can insult the crew, but I can't.

Jack walks down the line and stops in front of a tall and nice-looking sailor with a parrot on his shoulder and says, "You, sailor!"

"Cotton, sir," Gibbs says.

"Mr. Cotton, do you have the fortitude to follow orders and stay true in the face of danger and almost certain death?" Jack asks. Cotton just looks at him and keeps quiet. "Mr. Cotton! Answer man!" Jack shouts while Cotton just looks at him like he was stupid. Good for him. Stick it to the man.

"He's a mute, sir. Poor devil had his tongue cut out. So, he trained the parrot to talk for him. No one's yet figured how," Gibbs explains. Well, this is awkward. I wonder how bad Jack feels right now. Probably ten times worse. I managed to have a little giggle at this thought.

"Mr. Cotton's parrot. Same question," Jack says. I notice all the other crew members had turned their heads to look at Jack. I must say there is a large variety of people here. Tall-short, fat-skinny, long hair-no hair. Every variation of person is here.

"[Squawks] Wind in the sails! Wind in the sails!" Awesome! I really want a parrot now.

"Mostly we figure that means yes," Gibbs says. I have no idea how they figured that one out.

"Of course it does. Satisfied?" Jack smiles to himself and I think he asked Will if he was satisfied, but I'm not too sure.

"Well, you've proved their mad." Ahh. So, he was talking to Will. See, I'm not stupid.

"And what's the benefit for us?" A very feminine looking sailor asks while trying to look manly. Jack walks down the line to stand in front of her.

"Anamaria," Jack says after removing the woman's hat and she slaps him.

Will laughs and says, "I suppose you didn't deserve that one either."

"No, that one I deserved," Jack says.

"You stole my boat!" Anamaria says with her voice full of anger.

"Actually...," Jack starts saying, but she slaps him again. "Borrowed. Borrowed without permission. But with every intention of bringing it back to you." I couldn't help but laugh.

"But you didn't!" Careful Jack or you're going to get slapped again.

"You'll get another one," Jack says, but she looks skeptical.

"I will," Anamaria says while pointing her finger at him which Jack flinches away from. Will steps in:

"A better one."

"A better one," Jack agrees.

"That one," Will says while pointing to the Interceptor. Is he Mad? That's a Queen's ship. He can't give it away.

"What one?" Jack asks in confusion and looks at the Interceptor. "That one?" At first it sounded if he were angry and then says, "Aye, that one. What say you?" Jack agrees with Will.

And then everyone shouts, "Aye!"

"Anchors away!" Cotton's parrot says.

I race to keep up with Jack and Gibbs while Will helps the crew onto the boat.

"No, no, no, no, no, it's frightful bad luck to bring a woman aboard, sir," Gibbs says.

"Hey! Watch what you're saying, Gibbs," I say giving him a warning look.

"It'll be far worse not to have Maria here onboard. I'm telling you, Gibbs. We will benefit from it," Jack says with a wink in Gibbs' direction.

I look across the sea and see that there's a storm approaching, but we all set sail through it anyway. I find my way back to the Captains Quarters.

------------------------------------------------------------

Will comes into my room to find Jack sitting at the desk that I let him use and me reading one of the many books in the cabin.

"How can we sail to an island that nobody can find with a compass that doesn't work?" Will asks as he sat next to me dripping wet and complaining. I hand him a towel and he thanks me before listening to what Jack has to say, but before he manages to speak, Gibbs walks in dripping wet. Seriously! Do these people not know how to knock!

"Aye, the compass doesn't point North, but we're not trying to find North, are we?" Gibbs answers for Jack then turns to Jack. "We should drop canvas, sir."

"She can hold a bit longer," Jack says with a grin.

"What's in your head that's put you in such a fine mood, Captain?" Gibbs asks. Jack looks up at me and smiles while answering his question:

"We're catching up."