Chapter 16: The Battle

I was on deck standing at the helm with Anamaria and Gibbs. They were the closest thing I have to parents on this entire journey, and I don't know what I'd do without them. I can see Will trying his hardest to ignore Elizabeth through working and Elizabeth is just sitting there moping at the front of the ship.

"Hands aloft to loose t'gallants! With this wind, she'll carry every sail we've got!" Gibbs suddenly shouts making me jump.

The crew instantly got to work and I grab a telescope out of Gibbs hands and look around for any sign of danger and then I spot it. The Black Pearl.

"Jack," I mutter under my breath.

"What's happening?" Elizabeth asks while trying to keep out of the way of the crew. I can't really speak because all I have on is my underdress.

"The Black Pearl. She's gaining on us," Anamaria says and Elizabeth just looks shocked.

"This is the fastest ship in the Caribbean," Elizabeth says.

"You can tell them that after they've caught us," Anamaria says coldly. She's been acting like that because of the way her and Will have been treating me. Not one of them has bothered to speak to me, even though they know that I'm a mess because of what happened with Jack.

Suddenly, an idea pops into my head.

"We're shallow on the daft, right?" I ask.

"Aye," she answers unsure of where I'm going with this.

"Well, then can't we lose them amongst those shoals?" I ask. Well, anyone seen as though we can now see the crew without using a magnifier.

"We don't have to outrun them long, just long enough," Gibbs says excitedly. He probably thinks it's his great idea.

"Lighten the ship! Stem the stern!" Anamaria shouts at the crew.

"Anything we can afford to lose, see that it's lost," Gibbs shouts and the crew are running around trying to throw anything they can into the sea. I look down and see someone trying to throw a cannon overboard. I run down to stop them as I see the Black Pearl has oars out of the side of it and it is now gaining on us fast.

"We're going to need that," I say to the sailor and then run back up to join Gibbs, Anamaria, Will, and Elizabeth by the helm.

"It was a good plan. Up till now," Anamaria says.

"Gibbs! We have to make a stand. We must fight! Load the guns!" Will shouts. He must be stupid. We just threw the cannonballs overboard.

"With what?" Anamaria asks probably thinking the same as me.

"Anything. Everything! Anything we have left."

"Load the guns! Case shot and langrage. Nails and crushed glass! With a will! The Pearl's gonna luff up on our port quarter! She'll rake up without ever presenting a target," Gibbs shouts at the men. He compared to Will is a genius.

"Lower the anchor on the right side. On the starboard side!" Elizabeth suddenly shouts at Anamaria.

"Hey! Don't shout at her like that!" I say angrily, but both her and Will ignore me.

"It certainly has the element of surprise," Will agrees with a smile.

"You're daft, lady! You both are!" Anamaria yells at Will and Elizabeth. At least someone sees that there isn't much point in it.

"Daft like Jack! Lower the starboard anchor! Do it, you dogs, or it's you we'll load into the cannons!" Gibbs shouts as the anchor is lowered. He agrees with Will and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth tells Anamaria to let go and she does. The ship is then swung round to the side to face the pearl sideways on.

"We will be sunk! They have twice as many cannons, and they even have cannonballs. Something we are short of," I shout. Will smiles at me and then runs off to help prepare the cannons. I then decided to take my necklace off and wrap it around my arm and hide it under my sleeve.

The Pearl is set up opposite us now. And if we even have a chance of winning, we have to attack now. I look around and see that everyone is waiting for the order, so I stand and with all the air my lungs will allow me to use.

"FIRE!" I scream.

"Fire all!" Elizabeth copies my call with one of her own.

The Pearl starts shooting at us and soon splinters of wood are flying everywhere. I duck and grab a gun. I turn to see everyone standing in a circle.

"We could use a few more ideas, lass," Gibbs says to Elizabeth.

"Your turn," she says. It's obvious the ship is going down.

"We need a devil's dowry," Gibbs says with a saddened look on his face.

"We'll give them her," Anamaria says while pointing her pistol at Elizabeth's head and I raise my gun at her without thinking what I'm doing.

"She's not what they're after," Will says breaking mine and Anamaria's stares.

"The medallion," Elizabeth says while grabbing at her bare throat. Will moves fast as he runs below deck to retrieve it.

I turn just in time as a pirate has managed to board our ship. I quickly stab him and move on to my next opponent. I swing and just miss him with my sword. He takes his turn and manages to get his arm around me with a knife against my throat ready to slit.

"Lucky for you, Captain wants as many crew members as possible for hostage," he says with a sinister smirk and a rough laugh.

The man grabs a rope and swings us across onto the Pearl. I turn and see Jack swinging on a rope and falling onto the Interceptor. I take my chance while the man is distracted and run towards the next rope and swing myself across to the Interceptor and land in a heap on the floor right in the middle of the fighting. I look up and see Jack grab Elizabeth.

"Where's the medallion?" Jack asks.

"Wretch!" Elizabeth shouts and tries to slap Jack, but he catches her wrist.

"Ahh. Where's dear William?" He asks while glancing at her hand. Elizabeth then runs off.

"Will! Will!" Elizabeth screams while trying to lift the grate that Will is trapped under.

Jack and I turn to face each other and before I knew it, I feel his lips against mine. Our lips move in sync totally unaware of the dangers around us.

"I tried to save you, Jack, but Will threw me onto the boat. I screamed and kicked and tried everything, but he wouldn't let me save you," I say after we break apart. I feel tears running down my cheek. I turn to see a monkey with the medallion running down the side of the ship. "Jack!" I shout pointing to the monkey.

"Monkey!" Jack says while grabbing my hand and running after it.

We both end up at a plank and I feel another arm grab mine. I am swung over a shoulder and see Elizabeth desperately trying to get the grate open.

"I can't move it!" Elizabeth shouts and then screams while she is dragged away. I soon join her.

"Will!" We both scream while trying to get out of the hold of the pirates have on us.

"Elizabeth! Maria!" Will shouts as we land on the other ship. We are standing on the Black Pearl with Elizabeth and I at the front and Jack standing next to us.