Chapter 23: Saving Jack

I wake up to hear a knocking on my door and Hannah, my hand maid, opening the curtains to let in the glare of the sun. I groan and pull the covers over my head.

"Come on, Miss. It's time to start getting you ready," Hannah says while pulling my covers back from my face.

"I don't want to get up," I complain.

"But Miss, it's only two hours until you have to get ready for the hanging," Hannah says while pulling a large dress from my wardrobe along with a corset. It has taken me 18 years to get used to wearing a corset. And after being on a ship for weeks, my body has gotten so used to being free from the dreaded contraption. Now they were back and seeking revenge on my body. "Glaring at it won't make me change my mind about making you wear it," she says with a laugh.

I got up and as soon as I drank my morning tea, I was shoved into a bath (of course I bathed myself) until I was ready for my dress to be put on. It took an hour just to get my corset and underskirts on. Then the dress was thrown over the top. I told Hannah I would do my own hair. I curled and pinned it up. The dress was a lovely peach and green color that complimented my darkened skin tone nicely. Since I had been on the ships, I had gained a tinted color on my skin, and I liked it. It matched my dark brown eyes and dark brown hair perfectly. My mother must have had a tan as it seemed to compliment me perfectly.

"Are you ready, Maria?" Father asks through my door.

"Yes Father, I'm coming now. You can go before me as I'm going to be busy for a while as I yet to put on my makeup," I say while beginning to apply my makeup. Plus, I needed to go on my own so I can start preparing myself for the worst. I haven't really got a plan. I'm going to try and appeal to my father's kind and parental side.

------------------------------------------------------------

"We're here, Miss Swann," the door man says while helping me down from the carriage.

"Thank you, sir."

I walk forward and see Elizabeth and Father standing next to the Commodore. Elizabeth turns and walks up to me and hugs me and whispers how sorry she was into my ear. I realized at the moment that she was feeling guilty for Jack being captured. We join our hands as we turn to the Commodore and Father as we are ready to face the world as long as we stood united.

"Elizabeth. Maria. How nice to see that you have recovered from your horrific kidnapping experiences." Ahh, so they're going to call me going willingly with the pirates a kidnapping so they can excuse me from being hung as a pirate.

"It's about to start. Let's get going shall we," Father says making his way to the shade and we follow behind him.

The people were standing around a platform, but we were to stand on higher ground and in the shade. I can't see Will anywhere. I thought he would have come with his own rescue attempt.

"Cutler Beckett sends his apologies, Miss Swann, but he can't make it today as he has important business to attend to. He hopes you understand," Commodore informs me. I almost scream at the mention of his name, but I know that I have to keep up the pretense that I want to marry the weasel of a man.

"Thank you, Commodore. Send him my best wishes. And if you would be so kind to ask him why I haven't had a visit since I've returned home, I would be very grateful," I say with my usual smirk. He didn't seem to find the hint of sarcasm in my voice. It had taken all the fun out of my comment.

"Oh, I love a good hanging," Father says while rubbing his hands together. He has already forgotten that this is the man whom his daughter loves.

The drums start and I look up and see Jack standing on the platform before a noose with his hands bound.