Chapter 22: Governor Swann's Loving Words

"No Maria! You can't be trusted! Don't take me for a fool! I know you love him. That makes you a liability, so we can't take any chances. The pirate must hang!" Governor Swann says then walks into his office and closes the door.

Ever since Elizabeth was kidnapped and I went gallivanting across the Caribbean to rescue her, our guards have doubled. There's no way I can get to the hanging without my father's permission. Father. He isn't even my real father, and he doesn't even know that I met Barbossa, who then died. He doesn't even know that I cry my tears for the loss of my biological father. He thinks that all my tears are for Jack. It's partly true, but not completely. If I want to get to the hanging to save Jack, then I have to start thinking like him. I can act lovesick surely enough. I can pretend that I want to go to see if Beckett will be there. I knock on the door and wait for the 'come in' before I go in. I see my father standing at the window gazing out into the sea.

"Father, I don't love the pirate. I was in love with the freedom, but not the pirate. I would like to go and show the people that Elizabeth and I are fine. They look up to us. And we must come across strong and unbreakable or the people will start to doubt us. I would also like to go so I can spend time with my fiancé if you would allow it. All I ask is that you consider my request. It benefits us all," I say then make a move to leave the room. I reach the door, but before I can exit, he speaks.

"You're a fine young lady, Maria, and I love you dearly." I stop in my tracks and turn around. He also turns around to look at me. "You're my daughter even if it's not through blood. I was sick with worry when Elizabeth was kidnapped. But when you were in prison and then suddenly disappeared, it got worse. You're my youngest daughter and it's my job to protect you and I failed. Please forgive me, my child," Father says with a sad smile. I look into his eyes and see the pain and grief at the thought of him failing as a father. I pull my dress up and run to him. I feel his arms wrap around me. A foreign, but comforting experience.

"You haven't failed me. You managed to cope with raising two daughters without a wife," I say.

"I have failed you. I didn't once tell you that I loved you. I've put you as second best and even ignored you. It took me the experience of nearly losing you to death or to pirates for me to finally realize how much I love and care about you. It shouldn't have taken me that long for me to realize the love I have for you," he says as he unwraps his arms from around me. I smile up at him realizing that I could now go to the hanging, but I felt bad for doing this to him. He's already lost me once. And if I help Jack, I would be condemned to a pirate's death. "You can go to the hanging, but I expect no trouble from you," he says while sitting at his desk to start some work. I guess that's my cue to be dismissed. I nod my head in recognition before leaving and make my way to the staircase.

The house was still being patched up after the attack, but I can see that the new drapes hung long across the door. But apart from that, the house still looks the same as the one I grew up in. The house has always seemed normal to me until I visited the town when I was 9. I saw that the other houses weren't as big or grand as mine. And I realized that my father was a very important man, and I was expected as a perfect lady. Even after the visit to the less well-off town, I wasn't grateful for my home. Only now do I realize how lucky I am. I had to experience the life of a pirate to appreciate the comforts of my own home.

I made my way up the stairs and pass Elizabeth's room on my way to mine. I pause at her door but hesitate before knocking. We haven't talked since the whole experience and I'm not sure why. I must have offended her somehow. I decided that it was best to let her come to me. I look out of the main window and see the sun hitting the middle of the sky. In a day, it would be the time of the hanging. I have some preparing to do.