Chapter 14: Rescuing Elizabeth

Once I was sure that Jack and Will were far enough away so that they can't see me, I managed to get the window in the Captain's Quarters wide open. I managed to squeeze out of the window, and I only then realize the seriousness of this action. I could actually die. I'm hanging off the back of the ship without a plan. I managed to navigate my way to the Anchor's rope and try wriggling down, but this just gives my hands and calves serious rope burn. I almost fall into the water a few times, but actually... Wait a minute! I can fall into the water. I'm a mermaid. Whoa! I really am stupid. This could have saved loads of time.

I managed to gather enough courage to jump off the rope and I feel myself plummet into the sea below. I'm under the water for a few seconds when I start to feel the tingles in my toes and rises to my calves. Once the tingling has met my stomach, I know that I'm fully transformed. I head to the surface to check that none of the crew has heard the splash that I made while falling into the water. Luckily, it looks like everyone is too busy at whatever job they are doing. I look down and see that I'm still in the dress that Daphne gave me in Tortuga. It's starting to get heavy, and I know that if I want to catch up to Will and Jack, I'll have to ditch the dress. I managed to rip off the dress and the corset, but I decided to leave the underdress on just in case I turn back into a human and end up butt naked in front of a bunch of sex deprived pirates.

I look ahead and see that Will and Jack are halfway across to the island, so I decided to set off after them. To make sure I'm not seen when I get closer to them, I decided to swim underwater. It was amazing. I can swim at the speed of light and can see the brightly colored fish and the coral. It was so unreal. I've always had a connection to the sea from when I was young. I never knew why. Until now.

I look around and realize that we're now in shallower water and in a cave. I keep to the back to make sure they can't see me as they are becoming obsessed with the gold coins at the bottom of the water.

"What Code is Gibbs to keep to if the worst should happen?" I hear Will ask Jack.

"Pirate's Code. Any man who falls behind, is left behind," Jack explains. Even I knew that, Will. He looks a bit uneasy about this though. I wonder what he's planning.

"No heroes amongst thieves, eh?" Will jokes with Jack probably trying to lighten the somber mood that the Code brings.

"You know, for having such a bleak outlook on pirates, you're well on your way to becoming one. Sprung a man from jail, commandeered a ship of the fleet, sailed with a buccaneer crew out of Tortuga. And you're completely obsessed with treasure." They both look down at this point and because I wasn't sure where I was going, they both see me. Jack looked angry and Will looked amused. "Get her up here, William! No need for her to be sneaking around about now that we have seen her," Jack says while he continues rowing and Will pulls me up onto the boat. "I told the men to look after you and make sure you didn't escape. Are they completely incapable of holding a girl in a room? You shouldn't have snuck out, Maria! It's dangerous!" Jack shouts while we hit land. Will gave me his jacket as I had turned back into a human and only had my underdress on. Jack had just enraged me by shouting. He isn't the boss of me. Who does he think he is? However, I'm not stupid like 'Captain Jack Sparrow.' So, I don't shout and give away our position.

"Keep your voice down, 'Captain.' Wouldn't want to give away our position over a 'little girl' now would you," I say with a smirk while jumping off the boat. The bad thing about changing is that I don't have any shoes on. And climbing around a rocky cave could leave me with a few cuts.

"You go and swim behind us. It's deep enough so you won't hurt your feet," Jack says. No matter how much I dislike him at the moment, I have to admit that it's a good idea, so I follow his instructions.