Chapter 19: Engaged

I wake up in a warm bed and I look around and see that I'm in a cabin on a ship. I hear arguing voices outside the door and go and see what's going on. I open the door to see Elizabeth and our father, well, Mr. Swann, arguing.

"But we've got to save Will," Elizabeth shouts.

"No! You're safe now. We will return to Port Royal immediately, not go gallivanting after pirates!" Governor Swann says then walks up to me and pulls me into a hug. "How are you, my daughter?" I smile slightly at him calling me his daughter.

"Then we condemn him to death," Elizabeth shouts.

"What are you talking about?" I ask quietly.

"He won't go and save Will," Elizabeth says.

"The boy's fate is regrettable, but then so was his decision to engage in piracy," Father says.

"To rescue me. To prevent anything from happening to me," Elizabeth tries to explain.

"What about me? I took part in as many of those actions as well," I say.

"If I may be so bold as to inject my professional opinion. The Pearl was listing near to scuppers after the battle. It's very unlikely she'll be able to make good time. Think about it. The Black Pearl. The last real pirate threat in the Caribbean, mate. How can you pass that up, right?" Jack says. I look at him and see him tied up and standing on a plank.

"By remembering that I serve others, Mr. Sparrow. Not only myself. Now keep walking! It's easier to kill you out here rather than in Port Royal," Commodore Norrington says pushing Jack a bit.

"No! Don't kill Jack! Please Father, I'll do anything," I plead.

"Commodore, I beg you, please do this. For me. As a wedding gift," Elizabeth says. Wedding? She agreed to marriage so she can save the man she loves. Great idea.

"Elizabeth. Are you accepting the commodore's proposal?" Father asks.

"I am," she says simply.

"A wedding! I love weddings! Drinks all around!" Jack shouts bringing me out of my daydream and back into reality. I look down at the ring that Beckett gave me. It kills me to say this, but...

"I'll marry Cutler Beckett if you release Jack. I promise, Father," I say while looking back up at Jack.

"NO! Maria! I won't let you do that for me," Jack shouts trying to reach me, but the men hold him back while my father and Commodore address me.

"A double wedding. How wonderful," Father says clapping his hands then hugs me and Elizabeth while the Commodore tries to restore order to the ship.

"Mr. Sparrow, you will accompany these fine men to the helm and provide us with a bearing to Isla de Muerta. You will then spend the rest of the voyage contemplating all meanings of the phrase 'silent as the grave.' Do I make myself clear?" Commodore says with a stern face. I look at Jack and I know that it isn't the right decision for my life. But it's for Jack's and that's the most important thing to me. I love him.

"Inescapably clear," Jack replies while staring at me and I know that I'm going to be scolded for making the decision to marry my attacker.

While the men and Jack load into the dingys, I felt two arms around me as me and Elizabeth were shoved into the Captain's Quarters.

"Sorry, but this is for your own safety."

"Coward! The commodore ordered! I have to tell him! The pirates! They're cursed! They can't be killed!" Elizabeth shouts. I knew what she was going on about as Jack had managed to explain about the curse.

"Don't worry, Miss. He's already informed of that. A little mermaid flopped on deck and told him the whole story," Gillette says. I can't help but laugh. This is Jack's doing.

"This is Jack Sparrow's doing!" Elizabeth exclaims as we hear the door locking.

"Dear Elizabeth. You need to know how to escape by using your strength and brain rather than waiting for a man to do it for you," I say with a sly grin. She notices my smile and a similar one appears on her face.

"You have a plan?" Elizabeth asks.

"Oh yes. A great plan."

I start to tie the bed sheets into knots and then anything that I can find that will make it easier for Elizabeth to climb down. I can just jump. It won't kill me. I'm a mermaid.

"Elizabeth! Will you please help me? You're wasting time," I scold. She smiles at me and then starts helping.

"Why did you say that you would marry him? That's your life ruined," Elizabeth says as her smile drops to a frown. I stop and look at her and see the sad look in her eyes. I know that she's feeling guilty for bringing us back to the ship. She had set a massive fire that the ship had seen, and we ended up back here.

"I had to. It was the only way to save Jack," I say while continuing with what I was doing.

"Jack doesn't want you to do it either. He loves you too, you know," she says.

"Do you love Will?" I ask trying to change the subject.

"I-I-I well... I-I-I... Yes! I do love him. I've always loved Will," she says while stopping what she was doing to show me the biggest grin I have ever seen her wear.

"Well, I'm pleased for you. But you can't tell me that agreeing to marry Beckett was wrong if you're going to do the same for Will." I see that I have upset her by what I just said.

"I'll be marrying a decent man. You on the other hand will be marrying your rapist!" Elizabeth shouts.

"Please, don't remind me," I snap as tears begin to fill my eyes but blink them back. Elizabeth looks at me guiltily.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have shouted. It's not my decision to make. And if you love Jack that much, I'm pleased that you've found love before you marry Beckett," she says with a sad smile. I get up and give her a hug.

I then start to search for a long shirt or a new underdress. Mine was getting dirty, but I didn't want to wear a new dress as it will get dirty. I know that it's not decent, but who cares. We're in the ocean surrounded by pirates. I'm sure they have seen their fair share of women in their undergarments before.

"Come on, Elizabeth. Let's go," I say while giving up on finding a new dress. I suppose looking in a man's wardrobe isn't the most common place to find a dress.

"Where are we going once we're in the water?" She asks.

"Well, I'm going to jump in and turn into my mermaid self. Then, you'll hold on to me as we swim across to the Black Pearl. Then we take over the ship by somehow managing to release the crew," I explain sounding pleased with my plan.

"You're barking mad, but it just might work," she replies.