Chapter 18: On The Island

I pull myself up onto the beach which is a hard task when you have a tail. I look up to see Jack as he picks me up and sets me down on the beach. I look out to see the Black Pearl sailing off. Barbossa obviously doesn't care about me, or he wouldn't have left me here. All the good things that my mother had said in that letter had been wrong. He's a good for nothing pirate. My legs have returned so I stand up and walk to stand next to Jack.

"That's the second time I've had to watch that man sail away with my ship," Jack says in a soft angry tone. I take his hand and give it a reassuring squeeze.

"But you were marooned on this island before, weren't you? So, we can escape the same way you did then," Elizabeth asks Jack while we start to follow him into the trees. He turns behind him and starts to knock on the trees.

"To what point and purpose, young missy? The Black Pearl is gone. Unless you have a rudder and sails in that bodice. Unlikely. Young Mr. Turner will be dead long before you can reach him," Jack says obviously still angry at being stranded here again.

"But you're Captain Jack Sparrow. You vanished from under the eyes of seven agents of the East India Trading Company. You sacked Nassau Port without even firing a shot. Are you the pirate I've read about or not?" Elizabeth says while trying to raise his spirit. Jack turns to look at her. "How did you escape last time?" She asks. I just stay silent.

"Last time, I was here a grand total of three days, all right? Last time the rumrunners used this island as a cache, came by, and I was able to barter passage off. From the looks of things, they've long been out of business. Probably have your bloody friend Beckett to thank for that," Jack says while opening a hidden door in the ground. Hearing Beckett's name shakes me out of my trance.

"Don't you dare mention his name, Jack Sparrow! He's a weasel of a man with not a drop of goodness in him!" I say while glaring at him. Jack holds his hands up in a mock surrender and Elizabeth comes to wrap her arm around me. She's the only one that knows what he did to me and how badly I was affected by it.

"So that's it, then? That's the secret grand adventure of the infamous Jack Sparrow?" Elizabeth asks. Jacks comes up holding three bottles of rum. "You spent three days lying on a beach, drinking rum?"

"Welcome to the Caribbean, love," he says while handing each of us a bottle of rum and walking off into the direction of the beach.

I grab another and start to drink the first. By the time we had reached the beach I was halfway through the first bottle.

"I'd watch, lovey. That's a mighty strong drink," Jack says while taking a swig of his own.

Elizabeth sits down on the beach and says, "Drink up me hearties, yo ho," and takes a swig of her rum.

"What's that, Elizabeth?" Jack asks.

"Nothing. Just a song I used to sing when I was a child when I thought it would be exciting to meet a pirate." I remember when she used to sing that song when we were younger. I also remember her singing it the day we rescued Will.

"Let's hear it."

"No."

"Come on, we've got the time. Let's have it."

"No... I would have a lot more to drink."

"How much more?" Jack asks as he takes another swig of his rum.

------------------------------------------------------------

"We're devils, we're black sheep, we're really bad eggs. Drink up me hearties, yo ho. Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me," Jack and Elizabeth sang, really badly, around the campfire while I lay flat out on the beach trying to figure out if I was moving or if the earth was. I probably should have paid attention to Jack's warning about the rum.