Chapter 9: Another Nightmare

I was on a cliff surrounding the sea. I was admiring the view and smelt the faint smell of the ocean through the breezy air.

"Maria," I hear someone call out my name.

"Who's there?" I call out.

"Come to the edge of the cliff and you'll see," they call out again. I run to the edge of the cliff and look down and see a beautiful mermaid.

"Jump in, the water's great," the mermaid calls up to me. I hesitate and she flips her fins at me. "Come on, this is where you belong."

I was about to join her when someone pulls me back and puts me in a tight grip.

"No, let me jump! It's where I belong!" I yell and struggle to get out of the person's grip.

"You're not going anywhere, my love."

I stop at the sound of that voice. I know that voice anywhere as it's the person I so want to get away from. I start to struggle again.

"Stop fighting me and come with me!" Beckett yells.

"NO! LET ME GO!"

"You're coming with me and that's final!" Beckett says in his usual demanding voice.

"NOOOO!"

"Maria, wake up. Maria, it's okay."

I suddenly wake up and find myself in bed with both Will and Jack looking down at me. I sit up and rub my eyes with a yawn.

"What happened?" I ask sleepily.

"Jack and I were on deck just minding our own business, when we heard you screaming. We saw you thrashing about and shouting things. It took us about a minute to finally wake you. Maria, I've never seen you like that before. It was kind of frightening," Will explains. The whole time Jack just gives me that same look he gave me when I woke up in the prison cell.

"It's nothing. Just a nightmare," I say.

"What was the nightmare about?" Will asks.

"I was on this cliff surrounding the sea. There was this voice calling me to come to the edge. So, I go to the edge and look down and there was this mermaid urging me to join her. I was about to join her when... when..."

"When what?"

"When he pulled me back." I then burst into tears.

"Who?"

"You know who," I sob. I really don't want to say his name out loud especially with Jack in the room.

"Oh Maria, I'm so sorry," Will says wrapping his arms around me. Will knows a little bit about the arranged marriage between me and Cutler Beckett. He knows that he slaps me around a bit. But he doesn't know that he... Well, I don't want to even think about that anymore as it's the reason I suffer from nightmares and have a distrust in some men. Will holds me until I stop crying.

"I'm okay, Will, really," I say as I wipe away my tears.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Okay. Well, I'll be on deck if you need me," Will says then turns to walk out the door.

I see that Jack is still in the room still staring at me with that same look.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

He just keeps giving me that same look then says, "You're a strange girl, Maria."

"And you're a hard man to figure out, Jack Sparrow."

"Captain," he reminds me.

"Sorry. Captain Jack Sparrow."

He keeps staring at me and then asks, "Who exactly is 'you know who?"

"You don't want to know."

"Still don't trust me do you, love?"

"I don't know. I really don't know," I say as I laid myself back down on the bed.

"Just so you know. I trust you, lovey," he says.

I then hear the door close. I look up and see that he's gone. I was a little surprised that he told me that. Maybe he really does care about me. I just don't know if I could trust him yet.

I fall back asleep, but this time my dreams are full of mermaids instead of Beckett.

------------------------------------------------------------

Are you wondering what Beckett did to Maria.