Prologue

•☆•

"Mags, I've put all my boxes in my room"

"Okay sis, where's Cooper?" Emma's older sister asked as she walked into Emma's new room.

"He fell asleep in the sink" Margeret laughed at the cat's weird actions and kissed her sister's head before pulling her in for a hug.

"This will be good," she cradled her sister's face in her hands "you can finish your last year, get a job and I can keep up uni and work for another two years. You'll have fun and make new friends. I promise, it'll all be okay."

Emma nodded and pulled away, pushing some hair behind her ear and went back to her boxes while Margeret left to call her boyfriend. Emma huffed and pulled the box off her new bed and shoved it to the corner of the room.

Standing from her bed with a determined look on her face she finally left her room.

"Hey sis?" Emma swung herself into her sister's bedroom by holding onto the door frame with one hand. "Yes Em?" Margeret looked up from her phone with a smile.

"Where's the leftover cupboard stuff from the old house?"

Her eyebrows raised and she set her phone down on her lap.

"On the couch. Why?"

"I'm gonna make something for the neighbors to say hello, maybe I can make a friend" Margeret smiled and nodded her permission to the idea.

Emma beamed at her and turned on the radio before she wrestled with the heavy box from the couch and dragged it to the kitchen. She sat cross-legged on the ground and tied her long chocolate hair up into a bun.

Emma jumped when she heard a meow coming from above her. She looked up to see two large green eyes peering down at her from inside the kitchen sink. "Hey bubba wanna help a girl bake?" 

The green eyes slowly blinked down at her before sinking back down so Emma could only see the black tips of his ears. She snorted at his actions and started pulling out ingredients to bake a small apple crumble. The only thing she could bake. "Thanks for the support Coops much appreciated".  

•☆•

Hearing the beep coming from the kitchen Emma rushed from her place on the navy blue sofa to the kitchen to take out the crumble. She covered it with a tea towel and left it to cool for a minute.  

•☆•

Emma took a deep breath as she stood in front of her next door neighbors door. Her hair hid her face slightly as she muttered comforting words to herself, shifting on her feet. She quickly gathered up some courage and knocked on her new neighbors door. She waited for a couple seconds pushing her ring around her finger to distract herself.