Out of Options

As if on cue, you heard a knock on the door downstairs. You held your breath as your heard someone shuffling across the floor to reach the door.

"Oh, hello." A soft voice said. Your mom was the one answering. "Can I help you with something?"

The person knocking said something you couldn't make out, but you also didn't want to wait around to hear. Hopping out of your bed, you quickly grabbed a small backpack tucked in the corner of your room. On the third day you thought it would be wise to be already packed in case something like this had happened. You silently thanked your past self and pulled the bag over your shoulder as your ears picked up on the conversation downstairs.

"(Y/n)? Why do you need her? Shes up in her room. She said all of her duties at the palace were done!" Your mom exclaimed.

You held your breath and silently walked over to the window in your room. Although you were on the second floor, the house itself wasn't all that tall. Opening the window and climbing out, you held onto the ledge for a second before dropping to the ground. Quickly you looked around and realized you were on one of the side roads that ran against your house. Your (e/c) eyes scanned for any sign of palace messengers and after concluding none were in your immediate area, you silently ran down the road.

You passed merchants slowly getting their stalls ready for the day, baking and setting out trinkets that would catch wanderers' eyes. You smiled and waved at a few of them who waved back and watched you with curiosity before going back to their work. After a few minutes, you realized that you were still in your pajamas. Embarrassment flooded your cheeks for a second before sighing, Its all good (Y/n), you can change once you get to Alex's house. The three friends had agreed to meet at Alex's house on the seventh day so that they could go over the plan one more time and set it into motion.

Arriving in front of a small stone dwelling you knocked lightly on the door. You shifted back and forth on your feet as you glanced around, worried that someone from the palace would turn a corner at any moment. After what seemed like an eternity, the door to the house opened to reveal a disheveled and tired version of your friend. He motioned for you to come in and he shut the door behind you as you walked towards the couch in their living room.

"This early in the morning?" Alex asked as he yawned. You nodded silently, biting the inside of your cheek in worry. For some reason you couldn't get a bad feeling out of the back of your head.

"Can I use your bathroom to change?" You asked motioning towards your sleeping attire.

As if realizing what you were wearing, Alex turned away, his cheeks lightly dusted pink, "Y-Yeah of course!" He pointed to a small door down a hall to the right of the couch.

You nodded in thanks and tip-toed down the hallway, making sure to be silent so that you didn't wake Alex's parents. After locking yourself in the bathroom, you pulled out a small pile of clothes that had been shoved into the backpack. You quickly pulled them on and looked at yourself in the small mirror. You had chosen a nice black t-shirt with a v neckline and ripped jean shorts. After you seemed satisfied, you pulled out a pair of comfortable sneakers and slipped them on your feet. After deciding you looked presentable enough you emerged from the bathroom and walked back to the living room.

You looked to your left as you came back and saw Alex messing with something on the counter. 

As if he sensed your presence he turned to you with a tired grin, "You want some food?"

You nodded eagerly and sat at the table, your mind momentarily free of the potential danger with food on your immediate mind. Alex placed a plate of eggs and bacon in front of you before sitting down with a similar plate as well.