The Reality

Come on...Keep going.

You could tell that Mei was getting tired from the fast pace you were telling her to go at, but you couldn't have her slow down.

You had shifted into the forest for traveling and on the main road you could hear hooves constantly going back and forth. The guards were too close to you and you didn't want to get caught. Not when the end was so close.

"Take one more sweep of the village and then spread out into the forest!" You heard a voice command on the main road and your pulse quickened.

"I'm sorry Mei, just a little longer." You whispered as you snapped the reins again and Mei picked up speed. She jumped over roots and twisted around trees while you scanned the trees for any sign that the guards were getting close to you.

"Hey! I've got horse tracks!" You heard someone yell and your ears picked up on hooves behind you. At the fast pace you were going, all the trees blended together and looked like silhouettes, causing you to jump every time you saw something out of the corner of your eye. You couldn't see anyone like this. 

You flicked the reins, but knew it was pointless. Mei was at her limit. You looked around anxiously before letting out a small frustrated scream. You had to make it. You were so close.

"Hey! They keep going. It might be her. Spread out!"

The sound was becoming increasingly louder. Three decisions flashed through your mind.

You could either keep going and hope you'd outrun them, leave Mei somewhere and continue on foot, or turn around and hope that they would somehow let you go.

Your grip on the reins tightened and you fought back tears of frustration. None of the options had great success probabilities.

"I'm sorry Mei." You whispered as you let go of the reins. You hesitated for a moment before jumping off the horse and rolling across the ground. You sprung up to your feet and continued running. It would be harder for them to track you this way.

You glanced back to see Mei watching you and you felt slightly guilty. She'd gotten you that far, and you'd just left her there. You shrugged it off and pushed yourself harder, your feet flying across the ground.

"There's a horse here!" You heard a voice yell. "She has to be in this area. Look carefully!"

You cursed inwardly and kept running.

How far...How far do I have left.

If you squinted you could vaguely make out the outskirts of the village. Relief flooded your system for a moment before you remembered the immediate problem behind you.

Risking a glance behind you, you saw flashes of brown and white through the trees. They were really close.

It's now or never.

You cut across the forest floor, heading for the clearing behind the last house in the village. The forest was just beyond there.

"Hey! I see her!" Someone yelled and you willed your feet to go faster.

No.

"After her!" Someone else shouted and suddenly you heard multiple pairs of hooves hitting the ground behind you.

"I said no!" You screamed as you cut through the trees and found yourself out in the open.

Looking back, you saw them at the edge of the forest.

Propelling yourself forward, you made it across the clearing and into the forest on the other side. Breathing heavily you made it a few steps before you grabbed a branch of a tree and started pulling yourself up.