6

Despite the missing note drama, Jungkook pushes ahead, writing another note while Taehyung is in the shower. He remembers Taehyung's smug face when Jungkook didn't receive one earlier, and he has to do something to change that.

Writing mid-sentence, the door to Jungkook's room opens, startling Jungkook. He quickly hides the note in his top drawer, closing it with a loud bang. He turns to see Taehyung—hair still damp from the shower, but thankfully, he's clothed this time.

"What are you doing?" Taehyung asks, his voice sounding almost demanding.

"Nothing, really."

"Doesn't seem like nothing to me," Taehyung says, eyes darting around the room.

"Anyway." Jungkook changes the topic. "I'll set up the game."

He cautiously stands to turn on the TV and the Switch, grabbing two GameCube controllers because you're a noob if you play Smash with anything else.

Taehyung claims the beanbag, Jungkook doesn't complain this time. It stops Taehyung from pressing on with any of his suspicions. Instead, Jungkook sits down on the ground next to Taehyung, handing him one of the controllers.

Jungkook pictures an alternative reality, one where Taehyung dashed to the draw after Jungkook stood up. They'd fight over it, Jungkook guarding the drawer like his life depended on it. He wouldn't be able to budge; he would sleep there in front of the drawer all night, thinking of ways to lock it or empty it of all its contents before Taehyung could find out.

He knows Taehyung, though. Taehyung isn't usually a curious person; he's more of a live-in-the-present and go-with-the-flow sort of guy; however, Jungkook has seen a shift in personality after Jungkook started receiving the notes. Perhaps it's a false alarm; Taehyung didn't push any further even after Jungkook slammed the drawer shut like there's totally nothing to hide. Or maybe Taehyung is just respecting Jungkook's privacy—which is a first.

"You should invite Soobin over sometime," Taehyung suggests. "I wonder if he's any good at Smash."

Jungkook nods, agreeing. "I think mum would love him."

💌

Later, at the dinner table, Jungkook's father took much joy in exposing Jungkook. "I was told you're popular with the ladies at school?" Mr Jeon says to Taehyung, a smug grin displaying proudly on his face.

"U-Uhm, I guess so?" Taehyung replies, his cheeks turning red.

"Dad!"

"What? Maybe he can teach you a thing or two," Mr Jeon says.

"He's got no time for girls. He needs to focus on his studies," Mrs Jeon says. His mother has always been an advocate for education. He remembers being banned from seeing Taehyung for a whole week because he got a D on his report card. A D for P.E. Who cares about physical education?!

Taehyung nods. "That's right. Jungkook doesn't need a girlfriend."

"See? You're such a good example for our Jungkook," Mrs Jeon says.

Jungkook rolls his eyes. "Even if I wanted a girlfriend, no one would want me as a boyfriend." It's true. He's gone as far as sending himself love notes. How sad can his life be? Jungkook is sad. Life is sad.

"That's not true!" Taehyung interrupts Jungkook's thoughts. "Jungkook has been getting love notes lately from a secret admirer."

Jungkook nudges Taehyung in protest. "Don't tell them that!" He was literally just thinking to himself about how sad it was that he was sending love notes to himself. He doesn't want to be humiliated in front of his parents. Leave the notes at school, please.