10

Jungkook and Taehyung are now standing awkwardly in the hallway after being kicked out of class, waiting for Mrs Jang to come out. The last time they were both sent out of class like this was in year 8 when they were burning random stuff with the Bunsen burner. It went a bit too far when they decided to burn the pen Taehyung borrowed from Mr Lee—the whole room smelled of plastic for days after. Ever since the pen event the two of them have been separated for the entirety of their school science careers.

"This is your fault you know," Jungkook grumbles; his heart moved on from the stilled panic of discovering the note to an anxious sprint. For one, he didn't expect to see a note that he himself hadn't written so he was already on edge; and two, Taehyung had to go ahead and read it out loud so everyone in the class could hear.

The thump of Taehyung's back hitting the wall falling on the one count of Jungkook's heart's racing rhythm. "You're the one who threw the chair across the room," Taehyung defends, his head thumping two counts after his back as his eyes raise to slice through Jungkook.

"I did not! It fell!" Jungkook opposes with a whisper yell, careful to not disturb the other classes.

"Yeah, whatever. You should have just let me read it."

"Fuck you."

Jungkook manages to deep breathe, slowing his heartbeat to a larghetto waltz, the inaudible murmurs from the adjacent classrooms filling the void between them.

"Sorry," Taehyung says under his breath.

Jungkook drops his head, looking down at his feet. "Me too."

Taehyung bumps his shoulder against Jungkook's, pushing lightly. "Feels a bit nostalgic, don't you think?"

Jungkook smiles, lifting his head to return his eyes to Taehyung's. They stand in the silence their eyes not breaking from one another, waiting for the inevitable lecture from Mrs Jung.

Comforted by the warmth in Taehyung's eyes his mind wanders back to the note. Who could have done this? It couldn't have been Taehyung—they walked into class and had spent lunch together. There's no way Jungkook wouldn't have noticed him slipping the note into his books. Perhaps someone could have done it in the small time frame he was at his locker. The only person with him at his locker had been Naeun, and he couldn't imagine her slipping him a love note. Who was he kidding? If she was willing to blackmail him to get Taehyung's attention, there's no way she would be sending him love notes at the same time... unless it was a prank. It could have been Soobin—he hadn't been at lunch.

With each thought about the origin of the note he feels his pulse rise.

"What are you thinking about?" Taehyung inquires.

"The note." It comes out naturally, Jungkook now too tired to be embarrassed.

"I didn't get to finish reading it. What did the rest say?"

Jungkook chuckles, a blush forming on his cheeks. "Your name is cute and all, but I'm gonna have to call you mine."

Jungkook can almost hear the cringe emanating from Taehyung.

"Why'd you react the way you did for this one? It's no different from the others." Taehyung probes his finger feeling it up to his chin. "You had no problem with me reading them before."

"I-It just— it's been a while since I last had one," Jungkook says, palming the side of his neck. "And you were reading it out a little too loudly. During the roll-call too."

Taehyung nods as if he understood. "I still wonder who's writing these notes."

Yeah...

"You and me both."

💌

A.N: Love you 💜