14

It's at least the tenth time Jungkook has apologised to Eunji for the situation he dragged her into. They are standing together, waiting for Taehyung and Naeun to come back with the movie tickets.

"I don't see what Naeun sees in Taehyung. He's totally gay for you," Eunji says.

"You should tell that to her then," Jungkook says. "And no, I don't think he's gay. He hasn't shown any interest in boys."

Eunji tilts her head. "Has he shown interest in girls?"

"No, not really."

"Then with your logic, how's he straight?"

Jungkook puts his hands in his pockets, feeling awkward. "I don't know." He really doesn't. All of this is confusing. Taehyung is just Taehyung; he doesn't like people that way. Jungkook thought he was the same until recently. Yes, he has always thought of Taehyung's good looks as annoying, but lately, that annoyance has turned into appreciation—not by choice, though.

"I bet you wish it were just you two," Eunji says.

Jungkook frowns. "Well, yeah. Honestly, I'm not a fan of dates." He has no experience for a proper opinion anyway.

"More of the thing you hate makes you hate it more?"

Jungkook nods. "I really wish this didn't happen."

Eunji chuckles. "I don't know if I should be happy or offended."

Jungkook blushes. "Oh my god. No. I don't mean— You deserve someone much better than me, Eunji."

"How are you two lovebirds going?" Naeun asks, pulling Taehyung along with her.

"I got popcorn for both of us," Taehyung says to Jungkook.

Jungkook raises a brow. "You're not sharing with Naeun?"

"She has her own," Taehyung says.

They head into the theatre, sitting in their allocated seats. Jungkook and Taehyung sit in the middle, Eunji and Naeun sitting on the sides. To Jungkook's surprise, Naeun and Taehyung are being quite chatty as the ads start. All is good, Jungkook thinks, as long as it doesn't go further than that.

Jungkook wants Taehyung to show enough interest to satisfy Naeun's stupid demand, but not enough for Naeun to pursue Taehyung any further. Jungkook can't have that. He doesn't want to imagine a life with Naeun as Taehyung's girlfriend. Oh, the horror; having to deal with that girl daily. Or worse, Taehyung could leave Jungkook altogether.

Jungkook reaches into the bucket of popcorn, but his hand is met with Taehyung's. Taehyung doesn't retract his hand like Jungkook thought he would, leaving their hands touching awkwardly for a time longer than comfortable. But Taehyung takes an extra step to make it worse; he turns to Jungkook and winks. Jungkook whips his hand out of the bucket, giving up on the popcorn he previously wanted. He thanks the lords that the theatre is dark because Jungkook's cheeks are for sure red from embarrassment.

He notices Eunji chuckling from the side. Did she witness that whole scene?

Taehyung picks up the popcorn bucket, hovering it over Jungkook. "Sorry. Here, have some."

Jungkook frowns, reluctantly putting his hand back into the bucket for a handful. For the rest of the movie, Jungkook fights his urges to look at Taehyung's side profile. An accidental glance has his breath hitch. The lighting from the screen highlights Taehyung's features in a way Jungkook hasn't seen before. But of course, the one time Jungkook looks, Taehyung catches him.

"You should probably focus on the movie, not me," Taehyung whispers into Jungkook's ear.

Jungkook snaps his head back to the screen, giving Taehyung a soft hit onto the shoulder—cause Taehyung is being offensive again. This time his ears burn along with his cheeks, and it doesn't help that he can hear Eunji laughing under her breath.

"What's so funny?" Jungkook asks. "It's not a comedy movie."

"I just found this scene particularly funny," Eunji says sarcastically.

"Yeah, sure." Jungkook grumpily crosses his arms, trying his best to focus on the movie. If it weren't for these damned notes, he could tell Naeun to piss off with her stupid double date. But no, here he is. He could tell Taehyung all about the blackmail, but then that would mean explaining the notes. He doesn't want to seem pathetic in front of Taehyung. He doesn't want to seem pathetic in front of anyone at that. All of this should go away after the date. Yes, that's what he will keep telling himself.

When the credits for the movie roll, Naeun asks, "Do you guys know where we could eat?"

"I know this burger place we can go to. It's close by," Taehyung suggests.

Straight away, Jungkook's mood sours. That's meant to be a place where only they go to.

Not once has Taehyung (or Jungkook) brought anyone else to their burger joint. Yes, theirs. It takes Jungkook back to when they used to get pocket money from their parents, and they would buy the thick shakes that come with collector cards. Of course, they collected them all. It ended up becoming their regular place to just chill.

He doesn't want Naeun tarnishing the memories he's made there. How can Taehyung even suggest that? Does he not feel the same way as Jungkook does? No. He surely does. Taehyung is the one who called it their place. Taehyung has saved many terrible days by bringing Jungkook there.

Is Jungkook overacting? Probably. Does he care? No.

Jungkook stays moody, even when his favourite burger is presented to him.

"What's up with you?" Taehyung asks. Taehyung is sitting next to him in their four-seater booth—the two girls sitting opposite them.

"Nothing," Jungkook says.

"Eunji not giving you enough love?" Taehyung asks, nudging Jungkook's side.

Jungkook glares at Taehyung.

"Or are you, perhaps, jealous?" Taehyung adds.

Jealous?! "Jealous of what?" Jungkook asks.

"Anyway," Naeun interrupts, "What do you guys usually like to do in your free time?"

Taehyung grins, wrapping an arm around Jungkook's shoulder. "I like to hang out with Jungkook."

Naeun raises a brow. She mouths something to Taehyung, but Jungkook couldn't care less. Jungkook instead focuses on eating his burger—but first, he removes Taehyung's arm from his shoulder.

Eunji is just sipping on her milkshake, completely uninterested in the conversation.

"You two really are inseparable," Naeun says. "How cute."

Jungkook raises a brow before a smug smile appears on his face. "We really are, aren't we?" If that's what Naeun thinks, perhaps she should start to think that if she wants to hang with Taehyung, Jungkook will have to tag along; he's sure that Naeun wouldn't want to see Jungkook's face every day—like how he doesn't want to see hers.

"Okay, I'm going," Eunji announces. "It was... something. Thanks."

Jungkook awkwardly waves bye to Eunji as she takes her leave, and now all eyes are on him. "What?" He asks.

"She seemed to have enjoyed herself," Naeun says. "A second date is totally on the cards for you."

"Shut up," Jungkook says, frowning. "You know I only did this—" He stops, realising his slip up. "Did this for... um—"

"For what?" Naeun crosses her arms, face all smug.

Taehyung tilts his head, waiting for Jungkook's response.

"Nothing," Jungkook finally says. He can feel Taehyung's doubt. "It could've been worse?"

💌

A.N: Thanks for reading❤️

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!

I can't believe we have already passed 2k reads!! I'm so happy.🥰