Chapter 12: Reuniting with a Friend (Malec)

*****Simon's POV*****

Simon knew something weird was going on the moment he was picked up by one of the smaller Twolegs in the house and shoved into a crate. Elaine, Becky and Simon were each cooped up in a silver mesh cage, the bars rusted with age so they wouldn't be able to pull the door open like they used to. Underneath their cages, Simon could feel the thrumming of the car engine as it sped along.

Occasionally a large road bump would send him sprawling to the floor but otherwise he remains stalk still. A pink hairless hand was stroking at his ear fur through the gaps in the mesh wiring.  The twoleg kit was murmuring something to him while she did so, as though she was telling him some sort of secret.

The tabby kittypet accepts the petting with ease, nuzzling into the hand with expert experience. Off to the side, Elaine was curled up into a tight ball getting some well needed shut eye. The twoleg kits had been chasing his mother around the house this morning, ignoring the tabby cat's protests of not wanting to be picked up whatsoever. Simon guesses she must be exhausted, otherwise Elaine would've been alert during the car ride to the vet.

Ah, yes the vet.

If there was one place Simon hated with a passion, it was the Vet's office. Something about the sterile white walls and metal tables and the smell of chemicals just made his head ache. His nose was also itch whenever he was in the place for over an hour (which was the case whenever they visited). The worse thing though was the veterinarian twoleg who worked there. She always made him feel uncomfortable, looking at him in areas he'd rather she stay away from.

The car jolted into a half as the car pulled up to the office. Simon burrows his face into his paws, inwardly groaning. His stomach rumbled faintly in what he felt was an agreement; the tabby hadn't eat since yesterday, the mouse he had caught last night was long since digested.

If I'd known we were going to the vet's I would've tried to down some cat food. He hadn't eaten the round tasteless pellets in the past few days, as the last time he'd downed a few he hacked them up only a few hours later. His stomach didn't accept anything outside of prey, where the blood was rich and warm.

Anything else I end up getting sick. The scraps his house folk gave him occasionally now made him feel sick to his stomach. My days of pasta and pizza are over. He thought forlornly of all the yummy food he could no longer eat. Simon wasn't completely as to how this change had happened in him, but if he had to guess it was because of that strange cat he'd met a couple weeks ago now.

His lithe frame swayed as his mesh cage was picked up by one of the small humans. From the flashes of long blonde hair and blue eyes he knew it was the female child carrying him. The young male was carrying his sister's mesh cage, the gray she-cat pressing her face to the mesh as though she was trying to get a better view of the office.

Through the cages, the two siblings could hardly get a good look of the building. The smell of it was like lots and lots of germ x and antibacterial soap. As Elaine was the only cat allowed out of the cage before they walked into the building, the mother cat was pestered by her children as to what the building looked like on the outside.

"It looks like all the other buildings here: tall, white and foreboding. Now let me rest." She told them rather snappily, unhappy to have been woken up by the eldest of the house folk.

A few scratches on the human's left arm was a testament to her grumpiness. Elaine was curled up in a chair now, her gray tabby tail hanging over the edge of the tail. The slight twitch of his mother's tail tip let him know she's still awake.

Becky was padding around the male human who worked at the front desk, her slim figure slipping between the man's legs with ease. Simon padded over to join her, his hunger temporarily forgotten. Overhead, the eldest of the housefolk was chatting with the office worker their two scratchy voices filling the air.