Chapter 27: The Reason Why Monsters are DANGEROUS (Malec)

A Half Moon Later...

****Goldenclaw's POV****

"Noooooo! You can't go!!" Zephyrkit whined.

Tiny claws dug into his back, trying to keep him in camp. Zephyrkit and Pillowkit were proving to be even more of a challenge to take care of than Cloudkit, Sandkit and Tumblekit. At least the trio had their mother to look after them most of the time. Without their parents around, the former kittypets had been rather needy attention wise. As Goldenclaw was the first clan cat they had ever known (aside from their cowardly father of course) they seemed to have latched onto him as some sort of weird father figure.

"Stay Goldenclaw! You can play with us." Pillowkit mewed.

The white tom wasn't as fluffy as Cloudkit by any means, but his bulky frame made up for the loss of fur thickness. Though, his stomach was still plush as ever, something that was made evident whenever the little tom kit went sunbathing. Goldenclaw wondered if Jasmine was missing her two kits now. The queen had been awfully distraught to see them leave, so much so that he had to remind himself that Twolegs hardly ever kept kittens from their own cat anyways. It was a rather sickening thing to him, Twolegs selling away a cat's young.

We don't go selling around their kits after all.

Just trying to picture that was absurdly hilarious, causing Goldenclaw to crack a smile.

"Kits. You know I can't stay today. Why not go play with Cloudkit, Sandkit and Tumblekit. They could use the company." Goldenclaw gently shakes off the two kits hanging onto his back, setting them on the ground carefully. Thank StarClan they weren't six moons old yet, otherwise he would've likely been crushed under their combined weight.

"Awww! Are you sure you can't stay?" Pillowkit said.

"They're just so much smaller than us. They can't do all the stuff we can!" Zephyrkit agreed.

Goldenclaw shakes his head. "They're only a moon younger than the two of you. And besides, I have to get some training in with Violetpaw today."

He watches Arrowheart pad through the thorn tunnel with Sparkpaw, Specklefoot, and Petalfall. The four cats must have been on a hunting patrol as their jaws were laden with prey. The group murmurs a greeting to Littlebird who was sunbathing in the afternoon light with her mate Ripplefur.

At long last Nightrose's former mentor had decided to go on pregnancy leave until her kits were born and weened. Ripplefur and Featherflight had been greatly relieved, seeing as the longer she waited the more she put her kits at risk. And on that note, Littlebird wasn't the only warrior recently put out of commission. As it would turn out, Silvermoon was expecting once again. Arrowheart and Nightrose had been ecstatic to get a little brother, and Goldenclaw felt the same way, even though he knew now they wouldn't technically be related.

I do still have a blood related sister though, just not the one I wanted.

Goldenclaw had wanted a great many things from Sparkpaw. Being her sibling was not one of them. It pained him to think that she would someday mate with someone who wasn't him. In his mind, no cat would be good enough for her. Was he even good enough for her? Probably not, especially since he still wanted her, still yearned for her. There was something fundamentally wrong with him that was for certain.

"And also, I think Arrowheart over there would be more than happy to play with you guys." He gestured in his parabatai's direction, making sure Zephyrkit and Pillowkit could see Arrowheart who was now over by the fresh-kill pile.

"You think so?" Pillowkit shoots the black furred tom a skeptical stare.

He could sympathize with the tom kit. Normally Goldenclaw would be a little unsure too, seeing as Arrowheart was spending a heck of a lot of his free time with Patchfur lately, but as he knew the black and ginger tom had just went on a border patrol, it should not be  an issue.