Chapter 41: Forest Clash

***Arrowheart's POV***

He watched in horror as Watertail writhed on the ground, struggling to keep Frostfang from sinking his unsheathed claws into her exposed throat. Her eyes were wide with tears, round stomach like an anchor holding her to the ground.

"Let her go Frostfang! Can't you see she's expecting!?" Goldenclaw shouted. Like Arrowheart, he too was agitated by the scene in front of them. His fur was fluffed up, runes beginning to glow a dangerous hue.

Frostfang smiled winningly, like a mouse who got the cheese. "Why should I care about that. She's Downworld scum. The half-Shadowhunter kits in her stomach don't change that."

"Why you! You're the scum for saying something like that!" Arrowheart snapped.

Frostfang rolled his eyes. "It's so disappointing such a promising warrior doesn't share my vision, nor does my son. Oh what a shame. Perhaps I'll just have to kill the both of you now. But first . . . time to die Downworlder."

"No! No! Please no!" Watertail was screeching, her fur standing on end as she struggled underneath Frostfang's weight.

"No! Don't hurt her!" A new voice yowled. Arrowheart and Goldenclaw turned just in time to see Frondleap charging right on past. His fur was hushed up and his eyes wide with terror. "I won't let you touch my mate!" Frondleap leapt at Frostfang, teeth bared.

But Frostfang just smiled. One claw raised was all it took for Ratchet to break from the ranks of Circle members and tackle the HunterClan warrior. The two went splashing into the river, staining the water red with blood. Arrowheart had not liked Frondleap for a long time, but he still hoped the blood was not his Clanmate's.

"We have to do something." Goldenclaw whispered in his ear.

Arrowheart nodded. "I know, but if we attack now we'll be stopped. We need help if we don't want to get ourselves killed."

Any wisdom his words held was lost on Goldenclaw however as Frostfang began to sink his claws into Watertail's throat, causing her to let out a gurgling cry. Runes lit up along the golden tom's stomach as he raced into the fight. Thankfully, his approach seemed to bring on new hope, as another voice called out from over the rise.

"WolfClan attack!"

Clearstar and his reinforcements had come at last. The white furred leader was sprinting down to join Arrowheart and Goldenclaw, the werecat ignorant of the demonic animals. Their howls clashed with the wind as they tackled the rogue Circle members. Goldenclaw's attack that seemed about to meet its mark was held back by Wire. The skinny she-cat twisted around his parabatai and tugged him into the rippling water. Limbs flailed as they fought, the sound of maniacal laughter echoed in the air.

Clearstar came to stand beside him. The WolfClan leader nodded to him, a grim smile on his face. "We heard you could use reinforcements." His ears flicked over to Frostfang, neck fur fluffing up.

Arrowheart nodded. "Yes, thank you. Where are Sparkpaw and Alderpaw?"

Clearstar flicked his tail. "They're already here, just wait and see."

He looked around for a flash of ginger or tabby brown. He was surprised to find something sneaking out of one of the bushes up ahead near where the river crested upwards. The young apprentices were with Silverthorn and they were headed towards Watertail. Silverthorn met his gaze and gestured to Frostfang. It was clear what she wanted him to do. Arrowheart dug his claws into the earth.

"Are you prepared for a showdown?" He asked Clearstar, his voice a low whisper.

"Of course. Especially against that mange pelt."