Chapter 16: Arrowheart is Annoyed (Climon) (Malec)

*****Simon's POV*****

The new vampire had felt weird ever since he clawed his way out of the earth.

Simon felt as though all of his senses had been sent into overdrive. He could feel his companions' blood pulsating inside their bodies as they moved forward, their ears pricked with alertness. They were moving with steady paws towards the TwolegPlace that loomed up ahead of them.

Upon Patchfur and Sparkpaw's insistence, Arrowheart had agreed to take a day off for Simon to get used to his new reality. Sparkpaw had argued that he needed more time- something the former kittypet was grateful for- but Arrowheart had been adamant that they got moving the following day.

"The longer we wait, the more likely WolfClan will slip through our paws." The black furred warrior's words echo in Simon's mind. Arrowheart did have a point, waiting around wouldn't help them find WolfClan. But still, I would've appreciated a little more time.

The air was crisp cold breeze, billowing so that it ruffles the cats' fur. Simon could see Sparkpaw and the others shivering slightly, but he hardly felt the wind at all. Patchfur, the apparent Downworlder expert of the group, had told him that as a vampire he wouldn't be as affected by the temperature.

Simon can't help but wish he could give that ability to Sparkpaw. The she-cat's ginger fur is short and relatively useless at keeping out the fierce chill in the air. He looks at his own thicker tabby coat, getting an idea. Maybe there's something I can do. The tabby sidles up to her, pressing himself against her side.

"What are you doing?" Sparkpaw asks.

"Keeping you warm. You're freezing Fray." He tells her.

She opens her mouth to object, but ends up deciding to keep quiet. Sparkpaw burrows herself farther into Simon's tabby fur to the point where she's plastered to his side. The fledging vampire can't help but be in awe of the open display of affection they're sharing, even if it is just to share warmth. Arrowheart and Patchfur are pressed close together too, talking with quiet voices. In the background the small tags on Simon's collar jingle occasionally, the noise a small break from the quiet on their journey.

When they reach the TwolegPlace Arrowheart brings them to a halt. Simon's surprised to see the Shadowhunter's blue eyes fixated on him. "Simon, if we're going to travel with you then we must do something about that." His tail flicks behind him irritably.

The tabby can't tell if the warrior means a certain part of him or all of him. Since Arrowheart doesn't seem to like him very much, Simon would guess the warrior meant all of him. The vampire would feel irritated, but the intimidating stare Arrowheart sports keeps him rooted to one spot.

"Uh what do you mean?" He asks hesitantly.

"Yes. What do you mean Arrowheart?" Sparkpaw shoots her mentor a glare. It wouldn't be that far of a stretch to assume she had made the same assumption Simon meant as to what the warrior meant.

Arrowheart rolls his eyes at the two younger cats, letting Patchfur respond for him. The bicolored warlock lets out an amused chuckle, his left ear twitching. "Biscuit, Arrowheart is talking about Steve's collar. It's making way too much noise."

He wants to protest the incorrect name, but doubts it would do him any good. So Simon takes the information in, looking dismally down at his collar. The orange band is mostly discolored now as there was no way it could've remained the pristine orange it once was after the fight and being buried. It's now a splotchy brown and russet red, with only one small streak of orange left. The tags connected to the band are no longer silver, instead taking on an unpolished gray.