Chapter 22: Escape from the Shadows

****Goldenclaw's POV****

"Goldenclaw, what do you want? Can't you see I'm hunting." Starkpelt snaps.

Goldenclaw can see the tension in his clan mate's shoulders and in the way his tail curled tightly around his leg. Despite the bravado Starkpelt put up, Goldenclaw knew the older warrior was frightened...and that he had heard him coming. The second thing he wasn't surprised by seeing as he intentionally walked with loud paw steps. As for the first part, Goldenclaw was unsure as to why Starkpelt had become such a fraidy cat. Perhaps Frostfang had just traumatized him beyond the repair of Clan comfort.

"There's something we need to talk about. Can we go somewhere private?" Goldenclaw swings his head from side to side, alert for anyone who could possibly be spying on him. Vultureclaw had agreed that Goldenclaw would do this alone, but the golden tabby wouldn't put it past the wicked deputy to send Ashwhisker and/or Frondleap after him to make sure the job was done properly.

Starkpelt gives a shaky nod after noting the seriousness in Goldenclaw's golden gaze. "Alright. But only if I choose the place."

"Sure. Lead the way." He had not been expecting such an unusual request, but Goldenclaw was willing to deal with it if it meant some private time with Starkpelt, abstaining from any interruptions.

Goldenclaw followed Starkpelt as casually as he could, only giving the occasional glance over his shoulder to make sure they weren't being followed. For safety measures, his golden paws would scuff out their paw prints in the earth, making it all the harder for them to be tracked. They came to a halt at the edge of HunterClan territory.

From the sound of sluggish water and the scent of wispy fronds he knows they are near Sunningrocks and the river. Blossomstar has announced that preparations would begin soon to retrieve the stolen territory a few days ago, but she has yet to make another announcement concerning the sandy rocks.

Starkpelt sits down atop one of the smooth stones straying into their territory; his tail curls over his limbs to rest over his paws. At this height, Goldenclaw has to look up to see the other tom, his golden eyes squinting to pick out the tom against the bright sunlight. With this brazen light Starkpelt's thoroughly shredded ear is even more visible, as are the the other wounds given to him by the likes of Wire, Ratchet, Sour Cream and Sourdough. Just thinking of the rogues riles him up.

Frostfang just had to let those nut jobs drink from the Mortal Moss. How dare he?!

"So what do you need to tell me?" Starkpelt asks.

Goldenclaw sighs. "There's something I need to tell you...but you're not going to like it."

Now it's Starkpelt's turn to sigh. The seasoned warrior looks even older than he actually is, his body sagging and eyes drooping. Goldenclaw would feel sorry for him....if he hadn't betrayed HunterClan that is.

Still, no cat deserves to be brutally murdered...not even Starkpelt.

"Nothing I hear is good news lately....if only I could be with my Jasmine. Then things would be alright. Then I wouldn't have to deal with the disgust on everyone's faces...including yours."

Goldenclaw nods, not even bothering to wince at the blatant call out as he is glad to see that Starkpelt is already on the track he's thinking of. Maybe I can convince him without even telling him what's even going on. It was an interesting thought, one he would have to pursue.

"About that....what if you did go be with her? That's where you want to be, right?" He queries.

Starkpelt regards him with an air of caution. "I...I couldn't do that. HunterClan...it's my home."