Chapter 23: The Journey Home...Is Filled with Peril (Malec)

****Arrowheart's POV****

The sun was shining as WolfClan prepared to leave their temporary camp. Patchfur and Arrowheart watch werecats mill about idly, a half-eaten sparrow lay forgotten between them. This morning the pair had both participated in their own hunting patrols with the other werecats. Arrowheart had taken Sparkpaw with him, leaving Simon to go with Patchfur. He had been glad to get away from the chatter box tabby for a short time, but being kept apart from his boyfriend had annoyed him immensely, so he was glad when they returned to camp together.

"How do you think everyone is taking Grayfur's announcement?" He asks Patchfur.

Yesterday, Grayfur announced that he would be stepping down as WolfClan's deputy once they returned back to camp. Apparently he had more important things to do upon return, such as visit Russetleaf in HunterClan. This had come out of nowhere for the whole clan, except for Rookstar who only gave a small nod before returning to his nest for the night.

The second the gray tom had heard about the runaway warrior returning to HunterClan, he had barraged Arrowheart and Sparkpaw alike with questions. Both had been shocked to learn that it was Grayfur that had helped Russetleaf run away from home, and that the two had lived together for a short while after Sparkpaw's birth. He had been saddened to leave, but apparently the older she-cat had not wanted the Shadowhunter turned werecat to stick around, not wanting to put her daughter in danger.

Arrowheart understood where Russetleaf was coming from, but he didn't think it was fair all the same to make a cat who clearly loved her abandon her. He knows that if he was in that same situation with Patchfur that he would not be able to do the same. Arrowheart cares for Patchfur too much to just let him go.

Patchfur's ear twitches, his bicolored eyes focused on Sparkpaw who is busy talking to Grayfur, Simon a steady presence at her side. "I can't say I'm surprised. It was clear that Grayfur loved Russetleaf, long before the Circle even got started."

The mention of the Circle makes Arrowheart stiffen, his gaze searching out Rookstar amongst the crowd. The old, bedraggled leader was sitting next to a black she-cat with green eyes. The pair seemed to be arguing fiercely about something. Arrowheart could only hope it wasn't about the Circle.

He and Patchfur had both felt obligated to tell the werewolf leader what was going on back in the forest, particularly about Frostfang's return. The old tom had seemed enraged to learn that the wicked white tom was still alive, but he had thanked them for telling him the truth, promising not to say anything about it until Blossomstar revealed the Circle's return at the next Gathering (like she had promised).

"Yea. I forget sometimes how old you are. You must've seen the whole Uprising right?" Arrowheart is curious to know how much Patchfur has went through. He hopes that he isn't being pushy in asking, fearing that he might be when the ginger and black tom's eyes grow hard.

"I'd rather not talk about it Arrowheart. Some sins need to remain in the past." Patchfur's voice held a crisp coldness that made him flinch.

"I-I'm sorry. I-I shouldn't have..." He stuttered.

He feels a gentle lap at his cheek, the feather light brush sending a shiver down his spine. Patchfur blinks at him sadly with a hint of regret. Arrowheart doesn't know where this regret comes from, and knows that he should not ask. Not when Patchfur has already shut him down. It is clear his boyfriend does not feel like sharing today.

"It's okay Arrowheart. You have nothing to apologize for."

Arrowheart can't help but hope that he's right. The young Shadowhunter is afraid that his inexperience in relationships could mess things up, something he never wants to happen.