Chapter 43: Reunited (Malec)

****Sparkpaw's POV****

She marveled at the miracle of life before her. Two newborn kits were curled up at their mother's stomach. They were so tiny, no bigger than a clump of grass. Their little pelts were sleek like glittering dew. The she-kit was a fluffy cream gold like her father, while the tom was a tabby with dark gray stripes. They suckled contently, little mewls spurring their way into the air. But, just as life was a sign of beauty, it was fair to say that death was the opposite.

She bit back the grief at the third small clump of fur. The third kit had not even taken a single breath, dead before it even came into the world. Her eyes watered at the little body. It sat in front of her. The body was cold.

She bit down the feeling of sorrow, trying to be happy. Dawnmist had said that stillbirths weren't exactly common, but that didn't put them out of the realm of possibility. Though this didn't make her pain subside.

"What are their names?" She asked.

Watertail had seemed shaken by the third kit moments before. A silent mask was on her face now. It was filled with the expected tiredness, the events of the day so draining even without the surprise of childbirth.

"This one," she nosed the she-kit, "is Fernkit. And this one," she tapped the gray tom on the head. There was a whine of protest at the gesture. "Is Riverkit."

Sparkpaw blinked, uncertainty dragging at her paws that were stained with a copious amount of fluids. She would lick them but the stench made her gag. "What about the third kit?" The little kitten could not go nameless surely?

Watertail shook her head. A brief bitterness reflected in those steel blue eyes. "The child never even lived. In MagicClan, that makes it unworthy of a name."

"But. But that's not—"

"Sparkpaw." Dawnmist warned. The healer seemed just as tired as Watertail looked, tail drooping and eyes blinking slowly. "It's not up to us to decide."

Watertail licked her lips, wetting them as though they'd never tasted liquid. "If it bothers you so much then feel free to do it yourself." She regarded the third kit with heavy disdain for no real reason other than its failure to live. Watertail paid the stillborn no mind at all. The flame in Sparkpaw's heart grew. Lapping at her insides, she resisted the urge to claw the other she-cat in the face.

"Fine. Then I'll give her a name if you're too stubborn." Sparkpaw stared at the small kitten, trying to figure out a name that would best fit the child. Unlike her parents, the she-kit was a fluffy white. When she was a kitten herself, her mother used to tell her stories about another kitten she had loved so dearly. How foolish of Sparkpaw to never figure out this kitten was actually her brother. Goldenclaw's relations to her were still a strange thing to ponder however, and a small part of her kept on thinking there had to be some kind of mistake.

"Go right ahead." Watertail held annoyance in her tone, rolling her eyes.

Sparkpaw licked the dead kit behind the ears, wanting her to feel warmth from the world at least once before the arduous journey to StarClan. "This kit will be named Flakekit. May StarClan light her path on her journey home to the stars."

Dawnmist nodded. "Well said Sparkpaw. Well said."

They would've sat in silence for a few moments if not for a voice yowling out. The deep voice startled them all, as did the owner of it. "Sparkpaw! I could use a little help!"

****Arrowheart's POV****

If he had thought fighting against dogs was a challenge, fighting against a watery demon snake seemed to be a herculean task incapable of success. He had hoped with Sparkpaw's help the burden would be lessened somewhat, but against a beast this large he was unsure if even her expertise would make a difference.