Chapter 34: Victory!

****Arrowheart's POV****

His paws skid on the ground as he leaps at Weaselfur once again. The MagicClan deputy had blindsided him upon the arrival of a border patrol consisting of three cats, Weaselfur not included in the bunch. All in all this had helped MagicClan balance out the odds as they continued fighting.

But it won't be enough. It can't be enough.

With this in mind he rakes his claws down Weaselfur's flank, making the brown furred tom yowl in pain. In response the deputy snaps at his hind quarters to make Arrowheart leap away to keep those sharp incisors from tearing at his vulnerable flesh. Surprisingly enough neither of the two sides were using their enhanced abilities (runes and magic) but there was no telling how long that would last.

"Gah! You'll pay for that."

Weaselfur nips at Arrowheart again, this time aiming for his ears. Arrowheart spins away, delivering a vicious slash at the tom's chest. Claws tear at flesh, making the deputy stagger.

"Oh, looks like you were too slow." Arrowheart taunts. "Why don't you try again, perhaps if you're faster your blows might actually land."

"You little. . .how dare you insult me!"

"I dare all I like you filthy trout sniffer."

The two toms collide with vicious intensity. They somersault with glinting claws and teeth as they roll away. Arrowheart feels teeth imbed in his foreleg. He yelps with pain before sinking his claws into the other tom's soft underbelly. Like most MagicClan cats Weaselfur has a sleekness to him that comes from eating fish all the time.

Speaking of fish, his breath smells awful.

The two must tumble a long way, because somehow they end up right by the ravine by the time they spring apart. Rushing water is sluggish in the river, jagged rocks sticking up at the bottom. It was a sure death if any cat were to fall and hit them.

They'd be impaled straight through.

"Arrowheart watch out!"

The warning comes out of nowhere, as does the paw that knocks his footing out from underneath him. Weaselfur smirks viciously as he watches Arrowheart slip. Panic rushes through him as he realizes he's about to fall to certain death. Scrambling is futile, his claws unable to get a grip on the wet cliff side rocks.

"Ahhh!" He cries out.

Arrowheart shouts his eyes tightly, not wanting to watch what would happen next. Fear grips him in its vice, dagger like claws making him feel even more pain as he flails at nothingness. With his eyes closed it makes it all the more strange when he feels a tight grip on his scruff. He hangs limply over the cliff face, shivering as someone struggles to pull him up.

"Hold on Arrowheart. Just hold on." Patchfur grunts out.

Arrowheart sags in relief at the sound of his boyfriend's voice. He is safely pulled back up onto the safe ground of the cliff, his paws sinking into reassuring dirt. Arrowheart lets out a shuddering breath, his heart pounding with fear.

"Thanks Patchfur."

Patchfur nods, licking him on the nose. "Don't do that again alright! You had me scared half to death!"

"I'll try not to." He licks Patchfur back. "You're not getting rid of me that easily."

The two stare into each other's eyes, a feeling of peace encompassing them.

"Look what the cat dragged in. The traitor finally shows his face." Weaselfur breaks them out of their moment. A sneer encompasses the MagicClan tom's face, the sort that shows off his fangs and muzzle dripping with blood.