Chapter 30: Sparkpaw has a Dream

****Simon's POV****

Pain seized his heart as he crossed over the FaerieClan border. One of the faerie cats- Springpaw- had followed him on his way out alongside a she-cat he did not recognize. Blood pounded in his ears as he shot out of the undergrowth, his limbs trembling. Seeing Sparkpaw with Goldenclaw like that had been much too painful for him to watch, so the second the vines had receded he had raced out of camp with his newly acquired vampire speed.

No one had been able to stop him, though that hadn't kept him from being tailed on his way out of camp.

"See ya later vampire! Don't let the vines whack ya on the way out!" Springpaw shouted out to him. The other faerie cat rolled her eyes but said nothing about the apprentice's blunt behavior.

"Hah...hah...." He takes in unnecessary gulps of air as he collapses to the ground. Bleary amber eyes took in his surroundings.

Simon came to the quick conclusion that he had come back onto HunterClan territory several paces away from where he'd left. Nightrose, Arrowheart and Patchfur were likely still waiting with Duskstep for his return. Though as he didn't feel like seeing any of them, Simon staggered to his paws to make his way back to camp alone.

It was nightfall when he reached the thorn tunnel, his body feeling bone-weary with exhaustion. Simon had been walking around HunterClan territory for quite some time before he came home, so much so that he could smell the sweet scent of Sparkpaw in the air, mingled by Arrowheart and Patchfur (both of whom might as well have had the same scent at this point with minor variations), Goldenclaw and Dawnmist. The group had likely returned long before he did. Simon wondered if they might've went looking for him, but quickly pushed the possibility down.

Why go looking for me when they have everything they need right here. Maybe he was being cynical, but Simon just could not for the life of him get the image of Sparkpaw kissing Goldenclaw out of his head. It made his stomach feel queasy; his heart felt like it was cracked into several tiny pieces, too many to make whole again.

Ashwhisker and Brackenfoot were pacing around the camp when he came in. The two toms eyed him with slight surprise, but resumed their nightly watch a few moments later. Sighing, Simon began to make his way towards the Apprentice's Den for the night. In all actuality, he would rather not sleep in the same den as Sparkpaw tonight, even if Smokepaw, Stripepaw and Mousepaw could manage to serve as decent buffers between himself and the fiery she-cat.

Right now Simon would prefer to never talk to her again. All that needed to be said was announced clearly in Vinestar's den. Goldenclaw and Sparkpaw had made sure to be as obvious as possible with their desires. That much was certain.

"Simon? Is that you?" A voice whispers.

He turns to see Dawnmist staring out at him from her den. The pale she-cat was blinking at him tiredly, her blue eyes reflecting the stars preening in the sky. Medicine cat or not, no cat could deny the beauty she held, her pale fur streaked with a silver sheen at night. Her voice was quiet, reminding him of his own sister's voice.

Just how is Becky doing now? Is she alright without me? Simon tries to picture his sister at this late hour. She would likely be either asleep or curled up in her favorite windowsill. Perhaps she was staring out through the clear glass, her eyes overlooking their backyard and the pool that was still covered by that weird stretchy mat that would prevent cats from slipping in.

Simon was known for being clumsy, but he hadn't been the one to slip in. No, that had been Becky. His sister had taken an accidental dive back when they were kits. Now the cover remained on at all times in the winter, and stayed on whenever it wasn't in use. It was likely a hassle in the summer for the housefolk to take on and off, but Simon supposed that they were okay with it.