Chapter 40: Alderpaw Cuts it Close

****Alderpaw's POV****

His paws felt like they were skimming over the earth as he ran. Dried leaves were kicked up in his wake with each bound, his lungs burning. The cold air felt more frigid than usual. What kept him goin was his sense of mission, responsibility pinging away in his chest. He wouldn't let them down.

Dawnmist was right behind him, her hot breath on his tail making his fur fluff up. "Keep going Alderpaw! We're almost there!"

Alderpaw forced his paws to keep going, even though they felt frozen from such cold ground. White puffs of air attempted to fog his vision on each exhale. Like this fog, he felt a little foggy on their destination. Alderpaw had never been to WolfClan camp before. What if I miss it? The grass gave way to the sandy moor. The trees thinned out into scraggly bushes, making the cold gusts of wind even stronger. He felt bad for his companion in this moment. Dawnmist had a thin coat of fur, not meant for such terrible weather.

"What if we can't find WolfClan in time?"

"Well, it seems it's your lucky day. You've found us." A new voice spoke up.

Alderpaw skidded to a halt at the sound, nearly flopping to the ground. A sharp set of teeth kept him up. They embedded in his scruff and yanked hard. Dawnmist set him down gently, she was surprisingly strong despite her Medicine Cat status. He looked up to see Silverthorn standing before him. She was flanking Clearstar. Another WolfClan cat was with them, a ginger she-cat with brown eyes. The darkness in them reminded him a bit of Grayfur, who had yet to come live in HunterClan like he was eventually supposed to. The gray tabby was bringing up the rear, tail flicking in the air like a beacon radar.

"Silverthorn! Grayfur! Clearstar! It's so good to see you guys!" Simon greeted them with his usual friendly manner. The other WolfClan cat sniffed him curiously, her nose wrinkling.

"Why is a vampire with you Dawnmist? Is HunterClan taking in more strays?" There was accusation in her tone. Alderpaw shifted uneasily, casting a worried glance in Dawnmist's direction. Like Arrowheart, the blue eyed she-cat was hard to read. Her face was emotionless and calm.

"No more so than we have before. HunterClan knows how to show compassion, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge Claypelt." Clearstar cut in. The young warrior looked affronted, but kept quiet. Clearstar looked back over at Dawnmist and Alderpaw. "But I am curious as to what brings them here."

"We came because we need your help." Simon began, only to be cut off by Dawnmist. The healer was giving him a stern glare. What? Did I say something wrong? Silverthorn eyed them skeptically.

"We bring news about the Circle and the other Clans." Quickly Dawnmist explained the situation, leaving out the part about how Arrowheart had created the entire plan and put it into action without consulting Blossomstar. But he only did so because he had no time. The longer they waited the more at risk the forest was of Frostfang's maniacal plans.

"Oh my! That does sound dire." Silverthorn gaped.

Claypelt growled. "You expect us to believe all this is happening at the same time? You're mouse brains. Right Clearstar?"

Clearstar tilted his head. Unlike his father, the white tom did not bare several scars. Still, Alderpaw could tell from his weary gaze and bare flesh on his tail that the leader was no stranger to battle. "It does sound far fetched, but," blue eyes flashed with certainty. "there isn't exactly a reason for HunterClan to lie. Damaging relations isn't their style."

Claypelt huffed. "Except for Frostfang."

"Except for Frostfang is right." Silverthorn growled.

Alderpaw was thankful for his friend defending them, the gray she-cat was always helpful. The cold wind breezed through, kicking up the sparse leaves on the ground. Some of them were frosted over, little pools of intricate glass and veins of the plant they came from.

"What should we do?" Grayfur asked Clearstar.

Clearstar stood erect, his ears pointed forward. He was just a regal as any of the other leaders as far as Alderpaw was concerned. "We help HunterClan, that's what we do."

"Alderpaw!" A voice shouted.

He turned just in time to see Sparkpaw streaking towards him. Her ginger fur was bushed out against the merciless wind, her green eyes wide. She came to a stop beside him, her breath came out in cold pants. The WolfClan cats seemed startled by her appearance, taking in her panicked state. Claypelt unsheathed her claws in what was likely an attempt to appear menacing. Grayfur growled a warning to her and those claws sheathed right back up with great reluctance.

"Sparkpaw what are you doing here? You're supposed to be with Arrowheart and Goldenclaw." Dawnmist was hissing.

"Did something happen?" Alderpaw ran his tail down her back, hoping the soothing stroke would calm her.

It seemed to do the trick, the rapid panting subsiding into slow breaths. "They sent me here. The Circle found us. Arrowheart and Goldenclaw sent me to get help from you." She looked at the WolfClan cats, zeroing in on Grayfur for a moment before going back to Clearstar. "Are you going to help us?"

Clearstar nodded. "We were just in the midst of talking about it. How bad is the situation over there?"

Sparkpaw looked troubled. "Pretty bad. They were fighting the Sour twins when I left. Frostfang might've found them by now, so we need to hurry."

"Okay then, WolfClan will help in any way we can. Silverthorn, Grayfur and Claypelt can go help Goldenclaw and Arrowheart." Clearstar ordered. "Sparkpaw, would you mind leading them there?"

"No. Of course not. And Alderpaw can come with me." Sparkpaw mewed.

Alderpaw felt a burst of exhilaration at getting to fight in his first battle, but it was quickly undercut by unease. What if I'm not ready for a fight? What if I get myself hurt, or maybe even killed? Yes, he was completely aware he was technically already undead, but dying for a second time would be even worse. He did not want to die.

Dawnmist seemed to be having the same thoughts. "Are you sure Alderpaw is ready for this? He's barely had any training."

"Of course he'll be fine." Silverthorn cut in. "Alderpaw proved himself more than capable on our journey from the TwolegPlace. I'm sure he can handle some stupid pieces of fox-dung."

"She's absolutely right." Sparkpaw nodded vigorously.

Dawnmist shook her head, while Grayfur just shot them an amused smile. "Very well then. Alderpaw will go with Sparkpaw and the others. Dawnmist, you'll come with me to get the rest of WolfClan mobilized." Clearstar ordered.

And with that said, the cats dispersed off in their own separate ways. They could only hope to be ready for what was to come.