Chapter 36: Who is to blame?

****Blossomstar's POV****

The land was covered in a soft, frozen layering as the selected HunterClan cats spilled into FourTrees alongside herself. Many of the Clans were already waiting there, including a rather angry looking Wishstar whose claws were sunk into the rock. She passed by Weaselfur on the way to join the other leaders. Blossomstar barely hid her smirk at the sight of claw marks on the brown Warrior's muzzle. There was a knick in his right ear now too, the hole like a perfectly shaped 'o'. She wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if Arrowheart gave it to him.

Terrible cat gets terrible karma, seems fair to me.

Speaking of Arrowheart, she could see him hanging back towards the edge of the crowd from her vantage point. The almost pure black tom was padding in time with his parabatai, chatting amicably. Patchfur had agreed to stay at home to watch Zephyrkit and Pillowkit for Goldenclaw so he could come.

It was a nice gesture, but Blossomstar had a feeling it had more to do with Patchfur's unwillingness to socialize with his former clan mates after battle. It was one thing to join another clan, it was another thing entirely to fight against the clan you'd lived in for so long. Patchfur would likely have to take some time to recover from that experience.

"Blossomstar, so glad you could join us," Vinestar said. "How's the prey running in HunterClan?"

Blossomstar inclined her head to the ginger leader. "It's running as good as its able for this time of year. I must thank you again for your assistance. Thanks to your clan Violetpaw has recovered." The tortoiseshell apprentice was sitting amongst the other medicine cats in the crowd as they spoke, making conversation.

"Haha I'll remember that Blossomstar."

"Hmm, MagicClan has encountered a few. . .setbacks, but it's nothing we can't handle."

"Good to know. FangClan has been enjoying the colder weather. With the darkness of the night increasing, our power only grows."

Cricketstar flashed them all a fanged grin. The new FangClan leader was turning out to be much more pleasant than his predecessor. Just thinking about Venomfang made her feel uneasy. A part of her would've been much happier with a cat like that dead in the ground, not undead and still lurking in the shadows. She was certain they hadn't heard the last of the evil cat.

"And what of WolfClan?" She asked Clearstar.

The white tom had remained quiet during most of the exchanges between the leaders. It appeared he was still trying to find his place among them while handling the grief he likely still felt over the loss of his father. Rookstar had lived a long, prosperous life. Losing him was a loss to all the Clans.

"WolfClan is enjoying the longer nights, for we can see the glimmer of Silverpelt all the more. The elders have stayed up longer lately to tell the kits the stories of our ancestors."

"How quaint." Vinestar said. Blossomstar could hardly tell it the FaerieClan leader was pleased by this news or a little disgusted. Everyone in Fourtrees was noticeably thinner than the last moon. Leaf-Bare this year will be hard on us all.

****Arrowheart's POV****

A hush fell over the assembled cats as the Gathering began. Arrowheart was surrounded by Nightrose and Goldenclaw. His siblings who were busy chatting just moments ago hushed immediately at the sound of Vinestar beginning to speak. Some of the apprentices had to be hushed by their mentors. Arrowheart considered himself lucky that neither Smokepaw or Sparkpaw were making a ruckus.

"Cats of the Clans, the time for the Gathering has begun once again. I will be speaking first. FaerieClan has done well this past moon, the cold weather has done little to bother the strength of our Clan. And in other news, one of our queens Morningsky is expecting kits."

Arrowheart had not the slightest clue why, but Junipernose straightened up with this announcement. The tom's eyes gleamed with what looked to be startling shock but then transitioned into pride. Are he and Morningsky friends? It wasn't uncommon for friendships to occur across clan borders. The more you know your enemy the better you are able to defend yourself when the time comes. He didn't like the idea of seeing the other clans as enemies, but he did understand HunterClan's need to protect itself.

Hopefully Junipernose knows this too. From the adoring look he was casting in Morningsky's direction, he had his doubts. He found his gaze traveling over to Watertail. The queen's stomach was heavy with kits. She was so far into her pregnancy, Arrowheart was surprised she'd even been allowed to come to the Gathering. Frondleap sat a little ways away from his mate, his tail laying over hers.

Clearstar went next, a low growl in the white tom's throat. "WolfClan is doing well, but I have some unhappy news to report." He jutted out his chin in Cricketstar's direction, much to the FangClan leader's surprise. "Someone has been stealing prey from our territory."

There were hushed whispers among the crowd. The WolfClan cats seemed to be sizing the FangClan cats up. A rivalry between the moor dwellers and swamp sleepers wasn't all that uncommon, but normally they would try to keep the peace for Gatherings. Blue eyes looked up at the sky worriedly. A few clouds were beginning to make their way towards the moon. If StarClan allowed the moon to be covered the Gathering would be cut to an abrupt close.

"And you're saying my Clan is responsible. FangClan has done no such thing."

"Well, you and MagicClan certainly didn't mind stealing from the moor while we were gone, so how can I trust your words?" Clearstar snapped, his white fur fluffing up in anger.

Blossomstar watched the exchange worriedly, likely having the same concerns Arrowheart was. Meanwhile Vinestar just wore a thin smile. Faeries loved watching chaos unfold. Her reaction was normal.

"Don't bring us into it. We've been having the same problem. Someone is stealing prey from MagicClan territory." Wishstar's fur was well-groomed, the thick coat almost covering the gaunt figure he was beginning to get as fat shed off of him.

"Well if it isn't one of the other Clans, then who could it be?" Vinestar asked. "We have had no prey problems as of late. No one dares to be stupid enough to steal prey from FaerieClan."

Their was a murmur of agreement among the FaerieClan cats. They were smugly grinning, their fur neatly groomed and their eyes light. Of all the Clans, they struggled least in the cold season. They harvested plants in the fall to eat in the winter with their sparse prey. The magic in their forest helped them to thrive, though Arrowheart knew there was more to it then that. "The fey practice dark magic" his mother's words were hushed in his ears, the memory a mere whisper in his mind. The Shadowhunters knew what the fey could get up to, but unfortunately, like snakes, the fey were hard to pin down. And as they never do anything directly against us we have no just cause.

"I think I know who is responsible." Blossomstar's voice was clear and succinct. The other leaders turned to face the HunterClan leader, hinging on her every word. "The Circle." Her amber eyes were focused on someone in the crowd. It didn't take long for Arrowheart to pick out who it was.

Sparkpaw. Was this what their meeting yesterday was about? His apprentice had been very worried about finding the dead prey lying about on the hunting grounds. He had been too, but he hadn't picked up any scent. She must've seen something, but why didn't she tell me?

"That's a serious claim to make Blossomstar. Do you have the evidence to back it up?" Clearstar asked.

"Yes. We saw them on our territory not that long ago. The Circle would love to separate us, so it makes sense they would steal prey from so many Clans' territory. They wish to divide when we need to be together."

"Well I don't believe it." Wishstar growled. "If you ask me, Vinestar's Clan must be responsible. They're the only ones here who haven't had any prey stolen."

"That is true. They must be responsible." Cricketstar growled.

Vinestar shook her head, her green eyes blazing. "As if we would need your prey. Foolish cats."

Bang! Crash! Lightning struck in the sky. The moon was covered by clouds, the thick swathes blocking out close to every inch of light. Arrowheart could hardly see his siblings next to him everything was so dark.

Blossomstar's sigh could hardly be heard over the rushing wind. "StarClan is angry. The Gathering is at an end."