Prologue

"Ben? Mom? Dad?" I call into the dense fog. It swirls around me as if taunting my cries. A rotten smell seeps into my nose. I don't know where I am, but I'm pretty sure it's not great. Stumbling, I try calling out again.

"Ben come on this isn't funny! Dad where are you? I need you! Please." I whimper the last word.

The fog thins out a bit to transform into outlines of buildings. They are too close for comfort. I panic as I realize that I'm in an alley all by myself. How did I get here? Is there no one to help me? I'm trapped. I slide slowly down one side of the alley and feel a sob start to break free. My chest gets tighter.

Breathe y/n. Breathe. I swallow the sob but still stay in a small ball as I compose myself. You won't help yourself by having a panic attack.

After a few minutes of deep breaths, I climb back up onto shaky legs. I trail a hand along the wall as I walk slowly down the alleyway to steady myself. The alley seems to flow before me endlessly, and I wonder if I'm starting to lose it when I finally see a faint light through the fog.

Relief washes over me, and my body drops all of its tension. I was being ridiculous earlier. I probably took a wrong turn while shopping with the girls. Knowing myself, I was daydreaming and just didn't remember wandering away. Why did I let myself act like a damsel in distress?

I scoff at myself for doing that. Who am I? Audrey? Yeah right. Those thoughts whisk themselves away though as I see where I really am.

The fog rolls away enough for me to see, but it still clings at my ankles as if it was an animal not ready to let go of its prey. Cramped, haphazardly stacked buildings stare me down menacingly. I suddenly remember the claustrophobic feeling in the alley. Clotheslines crisscross the buildings every which way. My guiding light from earlier, which seems to be the only light, shines at the very top of the buildings like a spotlight. It's a bright spot at the center of the space but leaves plenty of shadowy nooks and crannies. Definitely enough space for someone to lurk in. And with the people that I could see, they looked like the type that would. Men and women in dirty, old clothes shamble around. Their somber expressions left a feeling of hopelessness in the air. Nothing looked like this at Auradon as far as I knew. Mom and Dad would never let their subjects live in a hell hole like this.

A child breaks the depressing scene as he collides into me. I am so busy observing my surroundings that I don't notice him barreling at me. I fell and hit the back of my head onto the concrete. A groan escapes from me as the boy scrambles off of me and continues on. A stout, burly man shouts at him.

"Get back here boy! I'm tired of you kids stealing from my shop!" The so-called shopkeeper runs past me as I lay my head back down and press the palms of my hands into my eyes. A throbbing pain slowly blossoms into the back of my head.

I'm startled from my little world of darkness when someone whistles from right above me.

"That looked like quite the fall," a Scottish voice chimes from somewhere right above my head. I grow frustrated by this whole situation. I'm lost, in pain, and now this guy wants to judge me?

"Who do you think you are?" I try to snap back, but of course my body betrays me by letting my voice crack with emotion. Tears prickle into the corners of my eyes. I press my palms in harder to stop them.

"Easy there. I'm just trying to help" the voice coos, but it's still mocking me. Large hands wrap around my wrists and pry my hands from my eyes. It takes a minute for the darkness to fade away, but when it does, I see striking sea blue eyes stare into my e/c eyes.

"Hiya love" he whispers.

---

Hi!!! This is my first ever story/fan fiction on Wattpad. Enjoy!