Chapter 5

"Darling we are here," Evie nudges me awake. I blink my eyes open. At some point on the ride home, I had ended up across her lap.

"Sorry Eve," I say.

"You've had a long day," she shrugs.

"I think you guys were the ones that really stressed out," I mumble.

"Yeah we did," Ben looks gives me a deadpan look.

"Ben I'm sorry. Honestly."

"We will talk about this tomorrow," Ben let's Mal exit the limo first and follows after her. He pops his head back in. "With Mom and Dad."

"Is that really necessary?" I groan but he's already gone again.

The rest of us get out. The sun is already starting to set. Was it really that late? I couldn't have been with Harry that long. A warm, butterfly feeling stirs up in my gut at he thought of him.

"See you guys tomorrow," Carlos waves goodbye.

"Glad you're okay, kid," Jay ruffles my hair.

"Me too," I smile. He gives me a quick sideways hug and follows Carlos. Knowing those two, they were probably going to get some food.

"Do you want to stay in my room tonight?" Evie asks.

"Did you restock your snack draw? We ate all of the candy last time. I havve plenty of snacks. Let's stay in my room," I suggest.

"Mal still has snacks. We can steal from her. Maybe she will let us do her nails. I have been wanting this new style," Evie grows excited.

"Isn't Mal mad at me right now?" Her and Ben are probably planning my death as we talk.

"We did warn you about the Isle," she points out. "I think she is beating herself up right now though. When we realized that you were gone, she took the blame for leaving you all by yourself."

"It wasn't her fault! I was alone for maybe two minutes," I protest.

"And look what happened. What really did happen by the way?" Evie gives me a look as we cross through the school's doors.

"What do you mean?" I look at my recently scuffed shoes.

"For someone who has only seen Auradon her whole life, you are pretty calm for visiting an island of villains and getting stolen by a very dangerous pirate," she bumps my hip.

"He wasn't that dangerous."

"Are you serious? He is Uma's second command for a reason. And everyone has heard of him along with his sisters. I can't believe you didn't recognize him."

"I have never met him! Why does everyone act so surprised by this?" I throw my arms out.

"Where did he take you?"

"Up to the roof of one of the tallest buildings. Oh Evie! If you had seen the view of Auradon. And the ocean!"

"I have seen it."

I spin around to look at her. "You have?"

"I know the place you are talking about. Before any of us knew better, Mal, Uma, Jay, Gil, Carlos, Harry, and I discovered it. We would climb up there to get a clear view of Auradon. Harry and Uma would always sit on the other side, though, to look at the ocean. Like I said, we were young and stupid. We didn't know what enemies were yet," Evie sighs and stares off into the distance at something I can not see.

We reach the girls dorms. Evie shakes herself out of the memory.

"Anyway, what do you want to do tonight? We could play around with your hair. It might might be fun to dye it," she pulls at a lock of said hair.