Chapter 20

"How's the search for the trident going?" I ask.

Jay, Evie, and I are sprawled out on the lawn under the shade of a large oak. They had both texted me to see if I had wanted to hang out over the weekend. Evie took me shopping while Jay had dragged his feet the whole time. I almost turned them down but Harry said that Gil and him were planning on going out too. He didn't specify what they were going to do, but I assume they wanted some bro time.

"Still haven't gotten anywhere." Jay sighs in frustration.

"Well actually they found a scrap of torn fabric at the crime scene." Evie is sitting up straight, shoulders back. I adjust my slouching position so I match her. "They allowed me to look at, of course I had gloves on so I wouldn't ruin the evidence, and it was blue netting. I told them that I assumed that it was Uma's because it was very similar to her tacky shirt."

"Where is it now?" My curiosity peaks.

"Like I said, we assume it's Uma's, but they still sent it in for DNA testing just to make sure."

Jay leans back against the tree and props a knee up. He fiddles with a blade of grass so he speaks. "We know it's Uma. It has to be. When we find her, she's gonna get it. I should probably let Mal have her though."

"She can't be doing this all on her own! How has she gotten around without being spotted yet? There are eyes everywhere looking for her!" I throw my hands up.

"She's probably hiding out in the water somewhere. I don't know she why hasn't attacked yet though. It's like she's waiting for something." Evie muses. "Don't worry y/n, we will find her."

Jay grunts. "Hopefully, sooner rather than later."

Silence fills the space between us. I stretch out and let the breeze flow over my face. It was still summer but I could feel the fall air introducing itself.

"So..." Evie interrupts the silence first.

"So?" I crack an eye open to find her looming over me.

She tucks a piece of hair behind her ear and smiles innocently. "Have you talked to Chip at all?"

I groan and throw my arms over my eyes.

"Eve leave her alone," Jay chimes in.

"I'm just curious!"

"No I haven't talked to him," I answer.

Evie pulls my hands down. "I'm think you should."

"I'm think I should too. He's always been a really good friend."

"That's true but I also still you guys would make a great couple." Evie rushes her words. "I know that the date didn't go well but I think you guys would be so cute together. He would protect you and treat you like a lady."

"Eve I don't want someone who can protect me. I can protect myself. Sure it's a nice perk but I also want someone who can help me grow as a person and will push me to there. Chip is too nice. But Ha-" I bite my lip before I say Harrys name.

"But what?" She still looms above me.

"Chip just isn't my type." I shrug.

"Who is your type then?" She grows excited at the idea of hashing out some boy talk.

I debate about if I should tell them about Harry or not. Jays saves me from making a decision.

"Can we not have this conversation while I'm around?"

Evie rolls her eyes. "Fine we will save it for when you leave."

"We should all probably get going. Sun is starting to set," he points.