Chapter 8

I put all my weight behind my punch into the bag. My glove bounces back. All the force I force I put into that hit didn't matter because the bag just absorbs it. It has been an hour. I have put all of my energy into this, and I can not get the bag to move even just a little bit. I can feel sweat rolling down my back. Pieces of hair have fallen out of my ponytail and hang around my face. It has become very irritating, but I can't fix it with the gloves on. My frustration level reaches its highest point, and I throw myself at the bag. Crying out, I kick and punch it incessantly. For the first time, it swings slightly. Encouraged, I keep at it until I wear myself out. Putting my hands on my knees, I decide it's time to take a break.

"What did that bag do to you?" Chip stands in the entrance of the doorway. I assume he watched everything.

I take a deep breath. "He stole my lunch money."

"Is that why you skipped lunch?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah I had to teach him a lesson," I slump onto a nearby bench and tear my gloves off.

"Good thing I have got you covered," Chip holds up a container and a water bottle.

"You didn't have to do that," I protest.

"If I didn't, would you have eaten?" I shrug at the question. "I didn't think so."

He walks over and stands in front of me.

"I feel bad because you feel the need to take care of me all of the time," I reach for the bottle of water and our fingers touch. I look up at him.

"What kind of guard am I if I let my watch starve? What kind of friend would I be?" He asks.

"You would still be my best friend but a horrible guard," I tease.

"See? And then I would get fired. Who's going to protect you then? I could see if Mei wants to take you on instead of Ben," he taps a finger on his chin as if he is really considering it.

"No thank you," I take a long swig of water. "I prefer you out of the whole lot so unless you decide to quit, you aren't going anywhere."

He perks up at that. "Really? Me? You consider me to be the best."

"Don't let it go to your head."

He laughs and hands me the container holding a small salad and sandwhich. I look around for the fork.

"Here," he pulls it and a napkin out of his back pocket.

"Thanks Chip."

"Anytime," he sits down beside me while I dig in. "So what really made you so mad? And don't say lunch money."

I swallow a bite of my sandwich. "Do you think I'm weak?"

"No. Definitely the opposite. Why?"

"No reason. It's not important."

"Did someone call you that?" He asks.

I don't answer and keep eating.

"Y/n look at me," I do and he continues. "You are the strongest, smartest, and prettiest woman I know. I know you don't like to be in the public's eye, but when you are one on one with someone, you always seem to motivate and inspire people. You just have this aura. It's a privilege to work for you and watch you in your element. Don't let some sour, dumb bully get in your head."

I feel those horrible tears start to form. "Thanks Chip. No one has ever said that before."

"I mean it. One day you will go down in the history books as Princess y/n, the most courageous and kind princess Auradon ever knew."