Chapter 22

"Mom. Dad. Um, Ben. I actually brought Harry tonight because he is my boyfriend." I suck in a deep breath to wait for the explosion which sure enough did come. Everyone talks at the same time.

Dad slams his fist on the table. "What?!"

Mom glares at him before smiling politely. "Well this is surprising. Isn't it Ben?"

Ben stares at me. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

Mal grabs his hand and her eyes are definitely a bright green now. "I don't trust him."

Evie waves a hand at Mal. "They're cute together."

Jay's mouth hangs open. "Are you serious Evie?"

Carlos chokes on his food and Jay pounds on his back to clear his throat. "I agree with Jay."

Gil sits beside me giving each person at the table a dopey grin. "I am so happy that she told you guys. I really hate secrets because it's so hard to not tell people."

Harry has practically shrunk into chair as if he is trying make himself as invisible as possible. I sit am sitting up straight so that in a way all the comments hit me first and not him. It was my turn to protect him. I let everyone rant and rave until they realize that they will not get a reaction out of me. Once they do notice, a silence fills the room once again as everyone mutters their last few remarks.

"Are you done now?" I fold my hands in my lap. "Because I would like to explain myself without a cacophony of yelling."

"Well you gave us a reason to be upset! We have the right to react like this," Mal throws her hands up in disbelief and dramatically throws herself back into her seat.

I shoot a sharp look at her. She flashes her eyes back at me but knows to keep her mouth shut.

Mom leans around Gil to look at me. "Honey, this is a shock to us since we assumed you were still with Christopher. I knew you two were going through a rough patch at the moment but I still thought you were courting."

I can feel Harry glance at me but try to stay focused on the conversation at hand.

Carlos laughs. "Who courts anymore?"

Mom gives him a look and he hangs his head. "Sorry ma'am."

"Mom, Chip and I were never dating. We just went on a date. I actually haven't talked to him for a few weeks now," I answer her.

"Even if that were the case, hasn't it only been two months since the Villain's Kids have arrived in Auradon?! That's a very short time to get to know this boy!" Dad growls.

Mal seems to have found the courage to voice her opinions again. "I agree with King Adam. Something is fishy here and it's not the Gil's B.O."

Gil tries to stealthily sniff his armpit and shrugs.

"I know it seems to be such a short time to get to know someone but I want try to have a relationship with him," I explain. Without mentioning our shared dreams that happen almost every night now or the mischief we have been through like stealing his hook back and the party, I talk about all the special moments that have occurred between us. To me, it feels like I have known Harry for years but it does dawn on me that really only has been two months since meeting him. If we wanted to count the dreams before that, I would have counted it as a lot longer then.

"From the beginning, Harry and I just have seemed to click together so easily. Almost like magic." Judging by Jay and Mal's faces, I was starting to sound crazy and sappy to them so I dialed it back. "What I'm trying to say is that, I trust Harry, and I would like all of you to do the same. I understand that it might take some time but I still want you guys to try."