Chapter 25

I had found a spot away from everyone else so they won't recognize me with my new fashion statement. The students assumed I was just another VK and ignored me. I had been searching the crowd for awhile now but haven't seen Harry or Gil anywhere which made me even more nervous.

Screams cry out as another blast hits the now empty school. Everyone ducks or lands flat onto the ground as debris flies everywhere. I jump towards a tree and hide behind it hoping that I do not get hit. A girl a few feet away from me cries. I shrug her off as just another frail Auradonian prep until I realize she is a VK. Her dark hair peaks out from a bright purple turban while giant gold earrings hang down the sides of her face and a matching necklace lays adorned across her chest. 

Sitting down beside her, I smile nervously. "It's gonna be okay."

The girl wipes her nose with the back of her leather jacket sleeve. The purple feathers on her shoulders puffed up as she moved. "Nothing is ever okay. I applied for the transfer because I thought Auradon would be safer than the Isle. But it's not."

My heart breaks for this young girl who only wanted a new life. 

"I was promised that there wouldn't be anymore violence." A blast rings out from behind us and she screams. I brace myself around her in protection. The bark in the tree slices at my palms as I feel the need to protect her. A need to protect my people. I can feel my fingernails dig back into the tree as another blast rocks the ground around us. Branches slice at my cheeks and forehead. One of the cuts across my forehead is deep enough to where I can feel the blood start to pour down over my eyebrow. I hear someone scream in pain as the debris rains down around us. 

I cry out as a brick flies through the air and hits me square in the back. The world becomes blurred for a second. Despite the pain, I refuse to move from my position and dig my nails in deeper to the wood of the tree. Everything  suddenly grows quiet as the blasts stop and the dust settles down. I slowly extract each finger from the tree. They have grown again to be longer and finely sharpened. I try to hide them from the girl underneath me, but she is too busy sobbing. 

"I just want to go back home. At least there I could blend in with everyone and not worry about people bullying me for what I wear." The girl glances up at me. Slow realization dawns on her. "Do I know you?"

I duck my head down and look at the grass. "No. I'm-"

"Attention students." Fairy Godmother appears from the dust. "The attacker has been subdued. You may all return to your dorms as soon as the building has been structurally checked. For now, stay here until help comes."

The girl rests her head against the tree behind her. "At least we got to miss class right?"

"Yeah." I stand up. "I have to go find my friends, but I promise things will get better- what was your name?"

"Ylza. Daughter to Yzma." She frowned.

"Well, Yzla, I promise that things will change." I leave her to sort through the emotions that are building inside her. I jog across the grass past students who are injured to where Fair Godmother is talking with a guard. I wait impatiently bouncing on one foot and then the other. Eventually, the guard nods and walks on.

She pays no heed to me and turns to leave as well. "Fairy Godmother!"

Her head shoots up and scans the crowd of distraught students to find me. Her eyes become round with horror at my clothing and the blood now running down into my eye. "Princess! What in the world are you doing out here? They have been searching for you!" 

A deep, inner part of myself wants to shrink inwards and apologize profusely. However, I shove it back and hold my shoulders back with confidence. 

"Obviously not hard enough, as I have been here this whole time with my fellow students who were left out here in the open to defend themselves against an attack." I growl at her.