Chapter 3

"Y/n wait up!" Mal catches up to me as I reach for the limo door.

"I'm sorry Mal. I don't know what happened. Everything got screwed up so fast," I hurriedly apologize while I jiggle the door handle but it didn't budge. And the driver is watching the announcement with the handful of Auradon assistants we brought over.

"Hey stop. Wait," Mal grabs my arms. "You don't need to apologize."

"Yes I do. I ruined this big moment for all of you. Ben and you worked so hard on it. It was supposed to be perfect. Let Ben know I'm sorry."

"How cares about Ben right now? I'm worried about you," Mal says.

"I'll be fine," I try to brush her off, but her grip only tightens.

"But you're not right now. I get it. I really do. The pressure of being in the public's eye is hard," Mal looks me in the eye.

"Yeah but you weren't raised up around this. I should be used to it. You had a reason to feel overwhelmed," I mumble.

"No, it can be too much for anyone. Ben is just really good at this kind of stuff," Mal tries to help.

"Yeah the golden child," I mutter. "He probably needs your support right now. You should get back. I'm fine I promise."

Mal conflictingly glances back at where the crowd is a few buildings away. "But..."

"Really I'll be fine," I gently pull her fingers off me and give her a push.

"We'll talk later. I promise. I will send some guards over. You shouldn't be alone around here," she waves at me and jogs back.

I watch her leave and sit myself onto a crumbling piece of concrete to wait.

"For once she's right ya know. Wouldn't want the big bad wolf to steal a little doll like you now would we?" An insane laugh ripples from the shadows.

I feel the hairs rise on the back of my neck. "Who's there?"

"Wouldn't we all like to know? Who am I? Who are you? Why are we here?" The voice muses. I could hear an accent buried underneath.

I concluded that I wasn't going to get any answers so I stood up and crossed my arms. "If you won't answer me, you could at least show yourself so I can decide for myself who you are."

"If you so insist Princess," A boy about my age jaunts into the light.

He is wearing a cut-off sleeved, red leather jacket that flows to his knees. A shredded white hoodie is underneath. They look as if they were put on just to show off all his muscles. His arms are ripped and I see abs through the holes of the hoodie. Probably an intimidation tactic, but I couldn't help admiring them. He has on dirty, worn-out black pants with matching boots. Rings and fingerless gloves are on his hands. What really drew my eye, though, was the pirate hat shielding the top of his face, a belt holding a sheath for his sword, and a menacing hook gripped in his left hand. I grow suspicious as I think of the guy that was watching us from the top of the roof earlier.

"Like what you see, love?" A crooked smile reveals perfect, white teeth.

"As if. I'm not into the cocky type," I lift my chin up.

"What a shame. I was kind of liking your damsel in distress look. The pink really ties it all together," he laughs again but it isn't as creepy as before. It's almost like he's teasing me.

"This damsel can handle herself."

"Are you sure about that? Because the girl I just saw on stage couldn't. Did you throw up afterward?"