Chapter 12

I knock on Ben's study door.

"Come in!" His voice cheerfully calls from the other side.

I am greeted by my parents and friends solemn faces in the morning light. "What's wrong? Why was I summoned to the castle this early?"

"Sit y/n," Ben waves to the chairs. Jay makes room in his chair, and I slide in beside him. He wraps his arm around me and squeezes my shoulder.

Dad paces back and forth behind us. "Someone has stolen King Triton's trident from the museum."

"Why would anyone want it? It can't even work without being in the ocean." Carlos states.

"Carlos did you forget about Uma?" Mal stands by the window, arms crossed, glaring at the water below.

"Oh yeah. Guess I did. But that is only because she hasn't bothered us for a long time. Maybe she forgot about us and is traveling the world in her new fishy form."

"Are you kidding?" Mal whips around and glares at all of us. "Uma wants revenge. And she will take her time doing it."

"I have had the guards watching for Uma for months now. They would have reported to me if they had seen her enter the museum." Ben calmly says from his desk.

"That just means she had help," Mal joins Dad in walking around the study.

"Who?" I ask.

"That's what we need to figure out," Dad says.

"I will get my best men on it," Ben tries to soothe the problem.

"That's a good idea, son."

"We will ask around and see if we can find anything," Jay suggests.

"No. This can not get out to the public. There will be mass panic. Especially since we let a lot of the VK's leave the Isle." Ben shakes his head. "This will stay between all of us."

Jay frowns but stays quiet.

"Thank you for informing everyone Ben," Mom gives him a big hug. "But I believe we have had enough negativity today so let's talk about something else. Y/n, I heard from Mrs. Potts that you went on a date last night."

All eyes shift to me. Jay's arm falls off of my shoulder. I blush at the attention.

"It's not a big deal-" I start, but Dad interrupts me.

"Who was it? No one is good enough for my daughter."

"Yeah who was it y/n?" Jay chimes in.

Mal and Evie share a look.

"It was just Chip. Seriously, it wasn't a big deal," I look at Evie and Mal for help. They only smirk and shrug.

"What do you mean it wasn't a big deal? How was it? Did you have fun?" Mom gracefully walks over to me and pesters me.

"I did have fun. We were already good friends before the date but..." My sentence fades away.

"Will there be another date?" She pets my hair.

There is a knock on the door but no one moves to get it.

"That's complicated. I think Chip wants another one, but I don't. I don't like him that way. There won't be another date."

"That's too bad, dear." Mom pats me.

"Yeah that is too bad," Chip's voice startles me.

Chip stands in the entrance with a crestfallen look.

"I'm sorry for interrupting, Your Highness. I was just wondering where y/n was since she hadn't arrived to training this morning. It seems that my question has been answered. Excuse me," Chip walks out.