@ - 12

Word Count :- 1634

Scarlett's POV

That morning was the last I saw him, after having breakfast he just left without saying a word, I don't know if it was what I said and the fact that I don't have any clue what's going on in my life is eating me alive, next day I got an email saying that I was transferred to a publication company which is owned by Zander International where I will be working as a chief human resources officer, clearly he is trying to avoid me.

It has been five months since I last saw him, I have tried to contact him through calls, texts and emails but none of them were answered, day before yesterday I went to his office and they said that I am not allowed in the building.

Yesterday in a meeting I saw him with his new PA/Slut, did it affect me, yes maybe no but that stunt just made me hate him and from now onwards I am going to be the one who keeps distance.

"Hey, there Scarlett" Casey my secretary waved as I walked in my office, she is good with her work but there's this one thing I hate about her which is her talkative nature, "Hello Casey, are my files ready ??" I asked taking off my pea coat, "Yep, emailed it already" she said and like I said she's good with her work, "Good and what about the policy file which I asked you to get a signature from Mr. Zander, did you get it ??" Eyeing her I waited for a reply, "No, Mr. Zander said that there are some corrections to be made in the policy and that he would be here guiding you with it" she explained, "He said that ??" I asked again just to hear her confirm it, what a Psycho, could have just emailed whatever corrections he wanted to be done, if not me then my secretary but no, off course he needs to point out my mistakes personally.

"Okay, whatever..." It was just above a whisper however Casey still heard it and her questions began regarding the stuff going on in between me and Maximus, I have no idea how she figured that out but she did anyways, I never answered her questions though obviously I don't want to feed her curiosity with anything which is basically nothing but still she is positive that something is going on between me and him.

"Out now" I hissed which made her leave, this girl is annoying sometimes, it's after an hour when Casey walked in my office "Maximus Zander is here" she announced, she placed a cheque up on my desk "and what's this ??" I asked picking up the piece of paper and going through the details "the cheque needs two signature, one is done by the manger and another one he asked me to take yours, it's for the charity event" she explained to which I nod, grabbing a pen from the holder I signed the cheque and I was interrupted by Maximus who walked in without knocking with his Slut I might add.

"Nobody ever taught you to knock Mr. Zander, I see..." if he is going to insult me in front of his slut then he as well be ready for hell, "Surprisingly, I own this place Miss Cason" that made me roll eyes at him, ego of this man was on cloud nine, he was trying to pull out an intimidating and powerful look which by all means could have made others feel tiny and unworthy infront of him but not me,  "And to what do I owe the honor of your presence this afternoon ??" I was trying to be calm which I know is Killing him internally, he has always been a fan of getting on my nerves but today I won't give him what he wants.

"Let's consider talking somewhere with a little more privacy, can we now ??" He asked making me smirk, "I am sure it's nothing we can't discuss in front of our Secretary's but if you so want it then fine" I said eyeing Casey, giving her a quick nod which she took it as her que to leave followed by his PA/Slut.

For next 25 seconds he stood there eyeing nothing in particular which was irritating me and so I stood up from my chair and walked in front of him "You are wasting my time Mr. Zander, also I know you are not here for the policy thing so now let's get down with the business, what do you want ??" Cutting it short for him I asked to which he sighed and I could see the guards falling down.

"I..i...." Stuttering mess he was, I don't know if I should be patient with him or should I just ask him to leave because it was him who was avoiding me and God knows how much patient I was back then but I doubt it now.

"What is it Maximus ?? I don't have all day, speak up...!!!" I almost yelled getting irritated by him just like that, I saw him him flinch and somewhere I did feel bad but I couldn't just help the anger which was inside me.

"I I need you, as a sober companion I mean...I i messed upp..." And I was speechless, after like 5 minutes I regained my mental state as I eyed him, please God let him not be in trouble or anything stupid...

"First of all, A sober companion ?? Are you serious ? Drugs, Omg Maximus Zander Quinton you are so fucking stupid!! And secondly, What do you think I am, first your PA then CHRO and then this stupid 'Sober Companion' thing ???!!!! You know right the job needs certification and before that how did you end up needing a Sober companion ?" The whole case was making my head hurt, way to ruin a beautiful day, I thought I would go for this music fest in downtown but here goes nothing.

"It's a long story...meanwhile, you won't need a certificate for being my sober companion everything will be taken care off...it's just for formality purpose...you will just have to give a Statement after three months to the police regarding my recovery and that's it" He said walking around the desk and plopping down on my chair, is he even serious...!! How can he be so calm, "just spill it out Max" I ordered making him sigh, "I might have almost killed a couple with my car but they are in the hospital, recovering now..." Before he could say another word I made him stop right there, I don't want to hear it any further.

"Look, I know. I messed up and I am sorry for what happened, I even payed all of the hospital charges for the couple, they are stable now...and there family didn't press charges against me it's just a matter of formality for the police to offer me a rehab help for my addiction or if I could arrange a sober companion they would let me go...." I interrupted him "there family didn't press any charges because you payed them against it, unbelievable, I never knew you were so heartless or your past made you like this Maximus ?? You know what I am not Volunteering for this wrong work, fire me if you want but I am not going to be your Fake Sober companion for three months and make false statement infront of the police" I declared making my side clear, I will not do anything wrong.

He stood up and walked his way towards me, getting on his knees he looked up "Please...just help me" okay, this is not what I was expecting, "What are you doing, please stand up Maximus" I said offering my hand but he didn't budge, "No...I won't untill you agree with it..." he said being stubborn, "Please Scarlett, I am not heartless, it's just how I respond to emotional stimuli, I took drugs in order to have you out of my mind, I don't want to...it's it's just all hard for me to think...!!!" I could see him struggling with words, getting down on my knees I made him look in my eyes, "Then why are you fighting it Max, Why are you doing this to yourself, look what you have done..." He wrapped his arms around my waist slowly pulling me closer, I didn't mind it.

"Please, save me" his words made me change my decision, "Alright" I said earning a smile which made my heart skip a bit, "But on one condition" I added to which he nodded "anything you want..." He offered and that made me roll eyes at him, will have to work on that as well.

"Learn to listen first, my condition is that you will listen to me and will follow what I say without any second thoughts" I said making him sigh, I know what I am doing "I am doing this for your sake Max, you will have your freedom in terms of anything outside your personal life but once home I will be in control of everything which concerns you" I stated making my point very clear.

"And my knees are hurting now, get up" I said as he unwrapped his arms, he stood up and offered his hand which I took, helping me up he pulled me against him as he wrapped his arms around my waist, "I like holding you near me" his words sent chills down my spine but I ignored that, "First things First, fire her" I ordered which made him smirk.

"You said I can do what I want outside..." I interrupted her "I also said that I will be in control of everything which concerns 'You' sweetheart" I point out making him laugh, "Alright alright, I will do that..." He said eyeing me.
.
.
.
To be continued...