Calling Old Friends

**Mr. Blackbourne**

My phone rings as I pace the hallway of the hospital. We can't figure out why North is almost catatonic. Sean is now trying a different tox screening to see if there are drugs in his system. I look at the caller ID and see Marc's name.  Praying they don't need help with something tonight I answer my phone. 

“Blackbourne.” I snap into the phone.

“So Owen. Raven and I just picked up your bird close to the old Navy base. Do you want to clue us in on why she was all alone, on foot in that area at night?” Marc’s voice is hushed like he is trying to keep from being too loud, but also sounds tight. Like he wants to scream these questions at me. 

His questions hurt, I want to know those things too. I want to know why she left, but I don't know and not knowing makes me feel not in control. 

“I don't know Mr. Weiland. You will have to ask Miss Sorenson for the answers you seek. She left us.” I bite out.

“Oh, so she is a free agent? Good to know. What did you dumb asses do to make her leave? I don't want to make the same mistake with Kayli.” 

“I assure you I have no idea what we did wrong. I have not talked to her since she left.” I struggle to keep calm and put my best professional voice on. 

“Hmmm, it was a fight to get her in my car. She is in talking to Phil now. Do you want me to let you know when she leaves?” He asks.

“Yes, please. If at all possible give me any information on her that you can get.” I see Sean coming down the hall and I know I have to keep my priorities straight. “Thank you for contacting me. I have an important matter to attend to at the moment, but I will call you later.” I don't wait for his answer before I hang up. The look on Sean's face has me worried. 

“North has Scopolamine or as it's known on the streets devil's breath running through his system. I don't know how or why he took it. We are trying to flush it out of his system. Luckily his fever is starting to lower. I was beginning to worry that it would get high enough to do serious damage to his brain.” Sean runs a hand through his hair and down his face. He looks tired both mentally and physically. 
“We will figure this out.” I place a hand on his shoulder. He knows I mean all of it. How and why North has drugs in his system, why Sang left, and what happened to our family. “Miss Sorenson is currently in with Dr. Roberts. Mr. Weiland and Mr. Ravenstahl just called to let me know. 

“Pookie is here?” I can tell he wants to go see her so bad. 

“Yes she is, but I think we need to leave her for now.” I straighten my already straight tie. I am the leader. I have to lead and make the hard decisions. I want nothing more than to run to Dr. Roberts office and drag her out of there and back home. I know though that I have to figure out where we went wrong first.

Sean's shoulders slump forward and he turns back towards North’s room.  
“I'll just stay with North for now, but I'm telling you, Owen, I will not tell him Sang left. I'm not going to be the one to do that.” The dejection in his voice matches what I feel in my heart.