Chapter 10

You pulled open the door to the lab, checking for a final time that there was no one following you, though you knew the Avengers were gone on their mission. When they got back, well, you didn't know. 

When you entered, you noticed all the screens still on and the chemical formula for the serum still on the board. You looked around the room, searching for the serum itself. The one you had perfected. Your eyes fell upon an empty container, causing your face to heat up with nervousness. Stark. You had noticed for a while that he had been making weapons to hold the serum. Drafts were all over the room. But he took the thing YOU created. You stormed over to the other part of the lab, knowing you had more important things to do.

Something about this place seemed familiar. About the people. You wanted to figure that out.

You pulled up a screen and clicked on it as it hovers through the air. You went through the SHIELD database, trying to find records from the city, population, and the people. You finally reached a tab called Person and Information. You clicked on it, crossing your fingers and hoping that this was what you needed. Your heart sank when you saw the words Level 7 Agent Password Required. Who and what the heck was a Level 7 Agent? 

Your mind goes to the Avengers. Steve seemed pretty high up, but what would his password be? You imagined Stark set up all the passwords, being the King of Technology and all. You typed in the first word and number combination that pops up into your head: Capsicle1939. You bit your lip and pressed Enter. If you got it wrong, the alarms may all go off, and then you were screwed.

The loading sign circles, taunting you. The database opened, and you let out a breath you hadn't realized you had been holding.

You took a electric cord and attached it to a device the takes your blood and matches it to people in the database. You took a sanitized needle and poked your finger, and the red liquid forming a bubble on the skin. You took a special computer chip and let the blood rush into a small tube located in the chip. Wiping the spare blood on the counter, you took the chip and put it into the special device. Though you had no permission to use Stark's technology, he had no permission to take your serum.

The device projected your magnified blood sample onto a floating screen. You walked over, wiping the remainding blood onto your black SHIELD jacket. You zoomed in, magnifying it over what was possible for a regular microscope. You saw your blood cells and click on one, and the computer gave you the health and diagram of the cell. You zoomed in even more, hoping to catch a glance at the genetic material. You stared in awe at the screen as you noticed the fine line of DNA in it's spectacular weave. You clicked on it, and it turns into a 3D hologram. You slid it towards yourself and studied it. This was your genetic material. The truth about your parents.

To be honest, you could hardly remember them. You only remembered them from the things they left, how they made you feel, and the images hanging in your home.

What made you even more frustrated was that your long term memory was great, but the fact that you couldn't remember them well, it was like someone hacked your brain. It was a crazy idea, but every day in the Avenger's tower made it all seem more and more possible.

You allowed the system to begin searching through the database for matching or similar DNA. Just as you went back to studying your cell, a phone call rings through the lab, pausing all the research.

"Oh come on!" you yelled, but click 'answer' anyway. 

Steve's face, along with the rest of the Avengers, popped up on the screen.

"Hey, (Y/N). I know I said that we should get back by tonight, but the problem is bigger than what we expected," Steve apologized. 

"How so? HYDRA fighting is too hard for you?" you asked.

The Avengers shifted feet, not answering.

"Come on!" you groaned again. "Do you really not trust me?"

"We'll tell you about them when we get back," Clint said, interrupting Steve from what he was about to say.

"What?!" Natasha exclaimed. "HYDRA is Level 7 Agent information. She's not even a part of our group! We're babysitting."

"Besides," Tony agreed. "She's in my lab." He glared at you through the FaceTime. 

"(Y/N)..." Steve groaned in a tone in which you knew he was not happy.

"What? I'm just doing some research," you stated.

"On what?" Tony asked.

"Genetics," you replied, not wanting to give details. Steve, Natasha, and Clint's faces soften, now understanding. The other Avengers kept their hard faces on.

"You still have no authorization to be in there," Tony started up again.

"JARVIS let me in."

"Now look! You're using my own technology against me."

"Umm, who exactly took the serum I perfected without telling me?" you spat.

"Since when did you become little Miss Spitfire?" Clint asked.

"Ever since I realized that I might be able to become more than what I used to be," you responded, looking at all of them evenly in the eye. 

A moaning of Dr. Banner filled in the silence. 

"We should probably go, (Y/N). Bruce is returning."

"Yeah. See you soon," you replied, hanging up. The call left the screen and instead of the searching... symbol written on the screen, the words NO RESULTS FOUND appeared instead.

You moaned. All that work for nothing.

"Rough night?" a voice came in. Panic rushed through your veins, and you grabbed the nearest object, a pen, and got ready to throw it at the target.

"I see that they've already begun training you," the woman laughed. "I'm sorry if I startled you. I'm Pepper, Tony's wife," she smiled, coming up to you and holding out her hand to shake. You took it, setting the pen back down on the table.

"I'm (Y/N)."

"I know. Tony told me about you."

You frowned at the sound of his name. You know he was not a bad guy, but he always seemed to be picking on you.

"I know he's not an easy person," Pepper told you, like she knew what you were thinking.

"I feel like they don't want me here. But I don't want to throw this away either."

"Why?" she asked.

You sat in silence, pondering on how to answer the question.

"I'm an orphan, and I don't remember them well."

She nodded, not asking for more.

"You're a nice girl. You hold your own well. I feel that you could do all these guys a favor, just by being here," she said, walking back towards the door. "If you need anything just ask JARVIS to call me. And uh, maybe go get some food or rest. You look pretty tired."

You nodded, turning off the computer for the night. Your (Y/H/C) was now falling out of it's style, and bags were now forming under your eyes. Maybe you just needed to try again tomorrow. You walked out of the lab, turning off the lights.

But before bed, you walked to the kitchen.