Chapter 31

Wanda POV

I couldn't help but feel slightly guilty about the whole situation. Yes, when (Y/N) got shot she wasn't really affected. But I allowed all of us to get distracted, which caused us to get ambushed... and now (Y/N) was bleeding out on the Quinjet. 

"It's too bad that Bram didn't leave the knife in her," Tony mumbled.

"WHAT?" Clint exclaimed.

Guilt gathered in my chest. Captain gave Tony a glare to hint him to knock it off.

"Guys! I'm not saying this to be rude to anyone. I'm just stating a fact. I'm not stupid. If he had left the knife in (Y/N)'s stomach she wouldn't be bleeding out everywhere. It would have clogged the wound," Tony yelled. He did his best to hide his worry, but even Tony Stark could let nervousness seep into his eyes.

"Where's Dr. Strange when you need him?" Bruce mumbled. Everyone had gone their own ways after we got (Y/N) to the Quinjet.

"Wait," I said for the first time while on the ship, "aren't you a doctor?" I pointed out.

"Yes, but I'm getting a little stressed out right now," Bruce confessed, a little bit of green climbing up his neck.

"Alright, buddy, I'll take it from here," Tony said as he dismissed Bruce. Bruce nodded, glad for the rest. He was still recovering from being the Hulk.

Tony was as confident and snarky as usual, but you could tell he was worried.

I just hoped that whatever happened, no one would blame me, even if I blamed myself.

(Y/N) POV

Honestly, you wished you had stayed unconscious. But no. Yes, your breaths were shallow and your pulse was weak and the world seemed to be spinning, but you were partially awake.

Captain gently placed you on the small seat. 

"You know, with all I've been through, you'd think the serums they gave me would help more," you groaned, clutching your side. 

Captain and Bucky frowned. By their expressions, you knew they were probably going to ask more questions later. 

"You know, it would probably help if you didn't waste your breath on talking," Natasha remarked, handing Stark a first aid kit. 

Stark took a wet towel and pressed against your stomach. You knew he was trying to help, but it felt like he was trying to murder you with a towel.

Then again, maybe he should. Who knows how many people you have killed in the past months.

"Don't," Wanda warns. You look at her, slightly dazed by the anxiety on her face. You hoped that she could see in your mind that you didn't blame her for any of this. It wasn't her fault. You followed her eyes to the pool of blood under you.

Bile rose in your throat, but you swallowed it. You doubted Stark wanted anything else on him.

"How much longer to the Avengers facility," Wanda asked, concerned.

"I'm flying at top speed," Clint said. 

"She's gonna need a blood transfusion," Bucky stated. "She's lost no less than 1.5 liters of blood."

"No needles," you begged, chills crawling up your spine.

No one guaranteed anything. But with the redness seeping through the towel and the gauze and coating Tony's hand, you knew what had to happen.

You coughed, blood splattering all over your sleeve.

You put your head back on the chair, trying to take deep breaths. But all you could make were short, choppy ones.

"Hang on just a bit longer, (Y/N)," Steve encouraged. "We're almost there."

~~~~~~~~~~

You blinked a couple of times before your eyes came back into focus. It didn't help that the room was filled with light, either. HYDRA's rooms and its base was dark and cold 24/7. Waking up to light was refreshing. 

It also felt nice having a mind of your own.

You still smelled like crap and probably looked like it too, but you were glad that no one had the time to change you. You didn't want anyone to see what they did to you.

You were surprised that the needles for IVs and blood transfusions didn't disintegrate when it hit your skin. But then again, Bruce and Tony weren't your average scientists.

"How are you?" 

A flash of red hair catches your eye as Natasha walks through the door.

"Never been better," you joke.

Nat cracked a smile. "You had us worried there for a second, you know."

"Yeah," you said. "Sorry about that."

Natasha shrugged. "It's not your fault."

"How many good people, have I, you know..." You couldn't bring yourself to saying the real thing.

Sadness flashed through Nat's eyes, but she quickly hid it. To the untrained eye, it would have been nothing. But you knew how to read emotions, even from one of the best spies in the world.

"Tony, can we check out (Y/N)'s stomach!" Natasha yelled. You realized she was changing the subject, but you didn't feel up to arguing with her.

Tony walked into the room, sporting a new pair of glasses. You gave him a questioning look.

"You broke my other ones at a battle, like, two weeks ago," Tony answered.

You wanted to hide in the covers. Natasha gave Tony a cold, hard stare.

"Was I not supposed to say that?" Tony asked, not wanting to get murdered by Natasha.

"Just check her stomach," Natasha said, rolling her eyes.

Tony pulled back the gauze. You braced yourself for something even worse than what it was yesterday. But when the gauze was off, yes, there was something brutal, but it was better. Much better.

Surprise rippled across Tony's face.

"Looks like you don't need me anymore," he said, taking out your IV.

"Wait, what?" you asked, flabbergasted. "How long have I been asleep?"

"Two days. Yesterday your vitals were on watch and it's 6:00 PM right now. If you want to, you can get cleaned up and join us for dinner tonight."

"Uh, yeah," you stuttered.

Never in your life had you been so thankful for the super-soldier serum. You hadn't had a quality meal in a long time, and you loved food. Even when you got out of the hospital bed, you didn't feel like the world was spinning.

"What time is dinner?" you questioned.

"Whenever you're ready," Tony said.

"Who's cooking?" you smirked. "Because we all know that Nat can't cook."

All she ever made was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

"Wanda and Sam, I think," Natasha answered. She didn't protest to your comment about her cooking, probably because she knew it was true.

"I'll be there!" you exclaimed.

It wasn't a great chapter, but it's needed to make the next one more meaningful/better. Thank you for the 40k views!