Chapter 14

"Don't you ever do that again!" you scolded as Peter placed you on the ground.

"Okay, okay. Just stay here and don't get hurt," he said. He gots ready to jump off the ground when you grabbed his arm.

"Nuh uh. I'm coming with you," you told him, loading your gun.

He looked up in exasperation and sighed. 

"Fine. Come with me and stay low."

You grinned and crouched down, following him as he swung from building to building. You heard shots in the not-so-far distance and realized you and Peter were in the heat of the battle when a bullet whizzed past your head.

"Listen, Spiderboy!  You can go on and I'll hold them off here. You need to get the serum," you instructed while firing back at HYDRA. Apparently Peter wasn't a very good babysitter, because he swung away, leaving you unsupervised. You chuckled and turned around with your gun up, but you were already surrounded.

How could you not hear them?

A group of five HYDRA men came towards you with guns aimed at your chest. You slowly put up your hands in surrender.

"Red Leader, we have a prisoner on the---"

He got cut short when little discs send bolts of electricity through his body. The Black Widow bites Natasha lent you last minute in the ship did come in use.

The other men got distracted for a moment, and that gave you enough time to slam their bodies on the ground, knocking them out. You searched through their jackets, hoping to find some of the serum in their pockets. Nothing. 

You pressed on the ear piece given to you for communication. "Nothing on the North end of the perimeter," you informed.

"Good work, (Y/N)," Clint responded. "I need some help--" you heard clashing and some grunts, "--removing pedestrians by the big office building. HYDRA is planning to use the weapon in highly populated areas, so I need you to get the people out of here."

"I'm on it."

You ran through the rubble and around the small fires on the street. Everything was destroyed. A small cry filled the sound of the crackling fire and the breaking rocks. You turned with your gun raised and on the trigger, but instead of a group of HYDRA, you found a woman with a dirty face and a small child crying in her arms. You slowly put the gun down and into its holster and walked over to them.

The woman trembled and fell to the ground on her knees. "Ple.... please don't hurt my child. Take me instead." A small tear rolled down her cheek.

Your heart cracked and fell to the ground into a thousand pieces. "Ma'am, I'm not here to hurt you or your child," you smiled softly. You squat down next to them. "I'm here on behalf of SHIELD and the Avengers." You showed them your jacket and pull up your sunglasses so they could see the kindness in your eyes. The mother's shoulders relax.

"Now would you please tell me what happened?" you asked.

She nodded. "A group of men gathered everyone from the nearby buildings and had them cramped onto the street. They started taking people by the random and forcing them into their trucks handcuffed. They kept going until a person in a blue and red suit showed up and pulled the weapons from their hands. The remaining people on the street have already fled, we have yet to leave."

"Why haven't you left yet? It's safer out there."

The woman shrugged. "Honestly, the terrorist group seems to be everywhere. Nowhere seems safe anymore," she stood up. "Thank you for your---"