Chapter 25

No one could tell what was going on except for you and Steve. Maybe it was the serum that helped you calculate, you didn't know.

A few men from all around the room started making matching hand signals.

Then they started making eye contact.

Then they reached for their belts. You weren't about to let them start something.

So you pulled out your gun first.

"Put your hands up," you said calmly. According to the name tags, the men who stood side by side were Agent Pierce and Agent Sitwell.

"(Y/N), what are you doing?" Natasha muttered. "You can't just put a gun to someone's head without knowing who they are."

Steve walked up and joined you. "No, (Y/N) is right. These guys are up to something."

"Ah, (Y/N)," Pierce started, not even intimidated by the gun. "You're getting good."

"Stop it with the games, Pierce. Hand over the serum," Thor interrupted.

Sitwell just laughed. "You think we took it back just to give it back? This was part of the plan."

"What plan?" you asked. You tried to hide your fear. HYDRA just straight-up admitted that they stole the serum, and their confidence radiated off of them.

"You think that the invitation from Stark was just an accident? We tricked Fury into sending it to you. We knew you had the gene and how weak and vulnerable and gullible you were, so by the time you fixed the serum, we tried to use it against the Avengers. We could have kidnapped you from your home, yes, but we needed you."

It felt oddly good to be needed, but you still hated everything about it. You were being used. And you had hoped that Stark and the Avengers had needed you. But it was all a lie. It was all fake.

"But why?" 

You couldn't help but ask the question.

Pierce gave a wicked smile. "I guess somethings just remain to be figured out."

Before you had time to think, Pierce threw a small disk onto your neck, and its small needles dug into your skin. If that didn't hurt enough, electricity zapped your whole body and caused you to collapse.

You expected Steve to throw his shield or for Peter to web them up, but the area was chaos. They couldn't focus on you if they wanted to risk losing their lives.

And no one, not even you, could do anything about it. The whole party area was in pieces, and the Avengers were being overwhelmed.

"Let me go," you croaked as Pierce and Sitwell dragged you out of the room by your arms.

With the little strength you had left, you turned your head to try and see if anyone was coming after you. And though many of them had their eyes on you that were filled with fear and anger and sadness, none of them were coming after you due to all the HYDRA agents wreaking havoc in the area.

They would come for you, right?

~~~~~~~~~~

"Because I've decided to be generous, I've allowed you some time to ask me some questions," a voice stated.

You blinked a couple of times to get used to the dark, foul-smelling place. 

"What?" you asked, confused. How was any of this generous?

"(Y/N), you should remember me," he smiled. "Fedor Bram?"

You gagged at his name. "You," you snarled.

"Yes, (Y/N). And I'm going to need you to answer some questions for me."

You bit your tongue to keep from ranting on and on. He didn't deserve any of it.

"Do you know why you're here?" he asked.

You did. But you weren't going to give him that satisfaction. Instead, you spat at his feet, the taste of iron sticking to your mouth.

He leaned close to your face, smiling. "Yes, you do. The SKH gene. The others have failed our tests. But we have high hopes for you."

You wanted to throw up. His breath smelled like rotten fish, for one. Second, you had no idea how many dead bodies were buried or rotting on this ground. The fact that everyone has failed so far couldn't be good.

So many questions were at the tip of your tongue, yet you had to swallow them.

"HYDRA and the Red Room have partnered up to create the ultimate soldier. The ultimate weapon."

You did your best to muster up a glare, hoping it would break the bonds so you could walk home. He just laughed.

"You already have the fire, (Y/N). You just need to be pushed."

"I don't want to be pushed," you complained.

Fedor lost his patience. "You will be a part of the project. You should be honored to bring the world to a balance!" he yelled. The soldiers next to him tensed and seemed to be bringing their weapons into a ready position. 

He held his hand up to stop them. 

"Take her to the chair. We need to erase her memories."

As much as you hated it, your eyes became glassy. You didn't want to forget the Avengers, your parents, and what love felt like. You heard snippets of Bucky's stories -- you didn't want to end up where he was. He was scarred for life.

You were lead down the hallway uncuffed. It was annoying... they were letting you attempt to escape, but they already drilled into you that there was no point in doing it. You were weak, and that made you fume with anger. 

Fedor seemed to notice, as a smirk pulled at his lips.

You walked through the lab, giving a horrified gasp at the bodies they were testing on. All the failed experiments, the failed SKH-gene carriers, were being observed. The smell and sight made you gag.

You couldn't fail. It was either live as a criminal or get tortured to the point where death was just at your fingertips, but not enough to grasp. You hated both alternatives.

"Is this the new one?" a feminine voice asked. You turned your head slightly to find a nicely dressed and petite woman. Though she was small, she demanded respect and wasn't someone you wanted to mess with.

"Yes, Madame B," Fedor said. "This one has caught our eye. Hopefully, she doesn't fail."

You were placed in a metal chair and a piece of metal was shoved in your mouth. Your heart was pounding as the cold metal hit your skin. You still had your heels and party dress on. 

If only someone could help you. The Avengers couldn't. 

Still, you sent out a mental plea as the electric headpiece came down upon your head and the handcuffs were tightened.

Screams began to tear at your throat.